Please help recommend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunK, Jun 24, 2007.

1. a P&S camera to me... I'm looking for one for my wife for our anniversary this week. Kinda funny, but I bought my DSLR because of the flaws of my P&S, and now we're full circle to wanting a pocket camera again! :redface: Her main requirements: speed! As little start-up time and shutter lag time as possible (we have a 2 & 4 year old, with our 3rd on the way!)... AND small enough to shove into a pocket without being unduly uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I'll also use it enough to want pretty decent picture quality and some manual controls (if possible). Is there anything out there that fits the bill???!!! Thanks! (Hoping for some actual user experience here! :smile:). I've already looked at a number of reviews of compact and ultra-compacts, and nothing satisfies me, so I'm hoping someone can tell me differently :biggrin:. Oh, and I'd like to keep it under $300 if possible. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    IMO I don't think you're going to have any luck finding a P&S with quick start-up and minimal shutter lag that meets your other requirements.

If you're willing to compromise on those points, I suggest you consider the Fujifilm F30, F40, or their current equivalents. They are pocket-sized, have great low-light capability, terrific battery life and manual controls. I also believe that they're in your price range.

3. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    I too would recommend looking into the Fuji Finepix F30 -- short startup time, very small shutter lag, and excellent IQ for a P&S up to ISO 1600.

4. Fuji Finepix... how is the picture quality? :smile:

5. I also agree on the Fuji.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You will not get speed from a P&S..You will get nice pictures though:)))

7. :smile: Not expecting the speed of my D70s, but better than my last Olympus would be nice... it took 3-4 sec. to turn on and be ready for the first shot, shutter lag was horrible, and shot-to-shot time was not great... It's been almost 3 years since I bought that one... I was hoping with all the advances these days that P&S's have come further... I went out and played with some today at the stores... not too terribly impressed with most of them... but I definitelyt like the metal bodies feel better. THe Fuji's were there, but I don't remember trying them... maybe I'll just take a chance on one! :smile: Thanks for the advice!