1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Please Help - Something seems wrong

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by hstrick2000, Jul 11, 2008.

1. OK. I got a used 17-55 off of the cafe a month and a half ago and it seems fine but I finally took it off my camera and put an 18-200 on and it was much sharper. Please look at the exif and let me know if I am just crazy for thinking these are soft and splotchy. I am also trying these on a used D200 I am trying out.

[​IMG]

Actual Pixels Crop
    [​IMG]

2. It does look slightly out of focus. This could be due to a number of things - user error, lens calibration, back/front focus on the camera, focus mode etc

Where was the focus point and how did you focus?

3. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    I would first try ISO 200, then 400 and see if it gets better.

4. The focus point was her face and I shot in aperture priority with AF not Manual Focus. How can you have your lens calibrated or tell if it is back/front focusing?

5. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    you can try playing a little with AF fine tune on your camera (not sure your D50 has it, perhaps D200). I got much better results after playing with it. If finally you decide that is a problem of front/backfocusing, send it to nikon for calibration.

6. Only the d3, d300, and d700 have that feature, just saying so you don't kill yourself searching for it.

7. Thanks Daniel...I almost had a heart attack thinking I had it on my D200. LOL

8. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    ops! my bad. sorry for that!

anyway, try manual focusing and look if you can get acceptable results with that....

success,
    al

9. Hayden,

A simple test to check for front/back focusing is to set up perhaps 3-5 cans with fine print on them in a column with each being offset from the other so you can see each one. You may want to do this test using a tripod, but if you are steady enough w/o one it may be okay too. Now, being back an appropriate distance (8-10' maybe), spot focus on a high contrast portion of the center can and then take the shot. If you see the text where you focused sharp, then all is well. if either of the other cans are where the best focus lies, bad news. Hope this was clear enough. :smile:

Regards,

10. I don't think the problem is focus. Check out the histogram. The picture is underexposed by more than a stop, and its contrast is very low. Adjust levels, and the picture pops.

Did you use the hood when you took this shot?

11. Frank is correct about the exposure. Just put the 100% crop in Photoshop, hit Autolevels, and it does pop. The AF should still be checked as I mentioned before, but it doesn't appear overly soft on her face.

Regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.