Please help with mouse pointer

I am having problems with my mouse pointer on my laptop. I have tried the settings in mouse properties but no luck.

What is happening is there is no pointer unless I clcik on something that has a link. Instead of an arrow, it is a hand like you would find when you are moving pages. I can't get rid of the hand and get the arrow back. With this problem, I cannot click and highlight on anything that I would want to copy and paste because of the hand.

I would be totally grateful for a fix to this problem.

Thank you.

Hi Melissa

Can you post more information like:

1) What Operating System it is.

2) When did it start?

3) Does this happen on just a browser window or is it a hand for everything?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Melissa

Can you post more information like:

1) What Operating System it is.

2) When did it start?

3) Does this happen on just a browser window or is it a hand for everything?
Thank you. I am using Windows 7 64 bit and it has been on the blink for several months. It is a hand for everything except when I hover over a link.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
This is almost certainly a touchpad problem.

You didn't say which make of computer it is?

It may be that a new driver for the touchpad will solve it. Otherwise the touchpad is faulty. Is it under warranty?

If it is faulty another solution will be to disable the faulty touchpad and use a small wireless mouse instead, such as the Logitech 305.

In case you have not guessed, I don't like touchpads. Too slow for me. And sometimes unreliable.

A quick guide to updating the driver (make sure you have a mouse connected as you may lose use of the touchpad for a while):
You may need to update your driver so try these steps :

Control Panel - Device Manager - Pointing Device - touchpad - write down make and complete model - double click - Driver's Tab - write down version. Then click Update Drivers. Then RIGHT CLICK on it - UNINSTALL - REBOOT this will refresh the driver stack.

Go to manufacturer's website and download the latest driver (even if it is the same).
Download - SAVE - Now from where you saved the download - RIGHT CLICK ON THE DRIVER - RUN AS ADMIN - REBOOT

This is almost certainly a touchpad problem.

You didn't say which make of computer it is?

It may be that a new driver for the touchpad will solve it. Otherwise the touchpad is faulty. Is it under warranty?

If it is faulty another solution will be to disable the faulty touchpad and use a small wireless mouse instead, such as the Logitech 305.

In case you have not guessed, I don't like touchpads. Too slow for me. And sometimes unreliable.

A quick guide to updating the driver (make sure you have a mouse connected as you may lose use of the touchpad for a while):
It happens with an external mouse. If you know how I can disable the touchpad mousepad, I will try that before using the portable mouse, I will give it a try.

Thank you.

PGB

Melissa,

Have you tried reverting to defaults your mouse pointer settings? This could be a faulty touchpad but it may also be something messed up with your pointer settings.

On windows 7

Start, control panel, Mouse, pointers, use defaults

Still not quite clear about where this is happening. To be clear and as you have said that it happens when hovering over a link the assumption is that it only occurs when you are web browsing - is this correct?

Could you confirm does this only happen with internet browser such as IE or Firefox - if so which one?

Using your normal programs for example a Wordprocessor or Photoshop does the mouse pointer act normally? If it acts normally in other programs then the indications are that this is a software setting issue rather than a hardware failure. Just seems a little strange that both touchpad and external mouse are affected

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode (pressing holding F8 immediately on start up) and trying both the touchpad and external mouse?

Melissa,

Have you tried reverting to defaults your mouse pointer settings? This could be a faulty touchpad but it may also be something messed up with your pointer settings.

On windows 7

Start, control panel, Mouse, pointers, use defaults
Thank you. Can you tell me what I should chose under 'Themes'? I have to choose one in order for the defaults to not be grayed out.

Still not quite clear about where this is happening. To be clear and as you have said that it happens when hovering over a link the assumption is that it only occurs when you are web browsing - is this correct?

Could you confirm does this only happen with internet browser such as IE or Firefox - if so which one?

Using your normal programs for example a Wordprocessor or Photoshop does the mouse pointer act normally? If it acts normally in other programs then the indications are that this is a software setting issue rather than a hardware failure. Just seems a little strange that both touchpad and external mouse are affected

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode (pressing holding F8 immediately on start up) and trying both the touchpad and external mouse?
Thank you. I just tried it on Opera and the hand is not there. So it must be a MS Explorer issue. I am glad that we are narrowing down what the problem may be. How do I fix this in Explorer?

Many thanks for figuring that out. I normally only use IE but since you mentioned it, I tried to see if it is the same problem on Opera and it's not. That's good news.

So Opera and all your other non web browsing applications run perfectly fine?

How do you fix it is not easy for me to answer as I abandoned IE years ago in favour of Firefox - therefore easy answer just use Firefox :biggrin:. Sorry I know that was not what you wanted but could not resist:tongue:

I honestly do not know where to start but suggest checking your tools there is an option in the View menu called Caret Browsing which I think allows you to use keys for browsing. If this is turned on try disabling but I doubt that it will have much effect somehow.

Other than that a reinstall of IE may put the application back to original state.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Well done pinning it down to just IE. I was wrong about the touchpad - this time.

Try Internet Options/Advanced tab/Restore advanced settings.

In IE, it is normal to have a hand when you hover over a link, so that is not a problem.

As I understand it you are saying that there is no pointer at all, when in the IE window, unless you are over a link. Is that correct?

I'll show you an option I use that can be useful. Try this and see if that allows you to see the pointer.
Control Panel/Mouse/Pointer options/
Then tick against: Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key.

Now any time you lose the pointer, which is easy to do on a large screen, just tap the Ctrl key once or twice.

Like Tony I use Firefox. It has got better and better and is reliable. I usually have at least a dozen tabs open in Firefox.

(The other day I tried to use IE to test a website on the webserver on my own computer. Three hours later, and after trying literally a dozen "solutions" I gave up. It wouldn't access localhost or 127.0.0.1 reliably. Sometimes not at all, sometimes after a minute or two it worked, but then stopped again. Firefox, Chrome worked.)

Well done pinning it down to just IE. I was wrong about the touchpad - this time.

Try Internet Options/Advanced tab/Restore advanced settings.

In IE, it is normal to have a hand when you hover over a link, so that is not a problem.

As I understand it you are saying that there is no pointer at all, when in the IE window, unless you are over a link. Is that correct?

I'll show you an option I use that can be useful. Try this and see if that allows you to see the pointer.
Control Panel/Mouse/Pointer options/
Then tick against: Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key.

Now any time you lose the pointer, which is easy to do on a large screen, just tap the Ctrl key once or twice.

Like Tony I use Firefox. It has got better and better and is reliable. I usually have at least a dozen tabs open in Firefox.

(The other day I tried to use IE to test a website on the webserver on my own computer. Three hours later, and after trying literally a dozen "solutions" I gave up. It wouldn't access localhost or 127.0.0.1 reliably. Sometimes not at all, sometimes after a minute or two it worked, but then stopped again. Firefox, Chrome worked.)
Thanks for the help. It didn't work. How do I uninstall IE so I can re-download it?

You could try a reset first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 which should get you back to how it was on original install. There is a link for a download application that should do this but you could try manually

1. Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.
  2. Start Internet Explorer.
  3. On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
  4. In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
  5. Tap or click Reset. If you're using Windows Internet Explorer 6, click Restore Default.
  6. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.
  7. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
  8. Exit and then start Internet Explorer.
If that does not work then have a look http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378 for details of how to reinstall

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Which version of Internet Explorer are you using. IE9 appears to have had this problem (rarely). If you are still on IE9, upgrade to IE10.

You didn't say what the computer is - not a Toshiba is it?

A thread describing your problem...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/disappearing-cursorsinoperable-arrows-in-ie9/539c446b-8961-49bd-8d4f-90a06d99093b
Richard...thank you so much. That did the trick. I no longer have the hand as a pointer in IE. I want to thank everyone who helped me with this. You are all geniuses and its much appreciated. Yeah, it's working again!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom