Please ID this

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by qilin, Aug 5, 2007.

1. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Caught this in the cage used for racoons. Don't know what is it. Help?
    1018859501_a09f4d2c20_o.

2. Opossum, I think ??

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2007
  3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    A Rat on Sterroids.:866::866::866:

Yes that is a Opossum. Nasty little Marsupial. The only Marsupial native to North America according to Jack Hanna

4. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Thanks, since I don't think the raccoon extractors are interested in this, so I released it. Sounds like they are just as annoying as raccoons.

5. Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2007
  6. Opossum, I can send you some more along with the racoons.

7. How did you get that picture, I sure wouldn't have opened the door.
    We were in our pool a couple of summers ago, at night, and one of these got between us and the door. Guess who stayed in the middle of the pool till it left.

8. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    I opened the door to let him out, this was taken before he left.

9. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    I raised one of these and although most people think of them as dangerous they are really not. They seem to live to eat.

10. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    They surely have this dangerous appearance. When I found this guy, he was very angry, opening his big mouse at me. With the kids around, I didn't want him out. So I waited until evening, he was probably scared and tired himself after being in that cage for a whole day with a temperature of 90F outside. He was acturally afraid to come out after I opened the door. I took the picture and left him there, 20 minutes later I checked again, he was gone. Did he have the scared and frustrated look?

11. They don't carry rabies, and though they'll show their teeth to try to scare you away, their primary means of defense is to play dead. One got in the house while we were away on vacation, and we cornered it with brooms. After it hissed for a while, it gave up and fell over "dead". We swept it into a box and carried it outside, where it miraculously came back to life and scurried away.

They like to travel in the company of skunks, so keep your eyes (or better yet, your nose) open for pungent aromas.

12. LOL, great catch! Can't believe you didn't know what that was! opossum for sure! We had one get "treed" on our backyard fence once. Poor thing was too scared to move.

13. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    I have never seen a raccoon or opposum in my previous life in China. Now my kids are having fun watching raccoons climbing in and out of their home and hanging out up on the roof and attics everyday.

Now check out our other family members:
    Father? Mother?
    1034902560_6348fba592_o.

Baby:
    1034902518_9dec74ad06_o.

Family activities:
    1034902530_b3bbc525f0_o.

Caught, same cage, different animal:
    1034902706_023bb7e42f_o.

Finally the landlord decided to cut down the tree you see in the picture to get rid of them... Sorry these pictures were shot with a canon P&S before I got my D80.

14. tcgoggans

tcgoggans Guest

Yep, that guy is an Opossum, and as someone else mentioned, the only North American marsupial. They are primarily solitary animals, unlike the racoon, which is very communal and social. The opossum is also naturally timid, as has been mentioned, and is known for "playing dead" when threatened or scared. When raised from infancy as pets, they are extremely docile and affectionate, and make wonderful pets.

15. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Way to go, tcgoggans! Standing up for the possum!

I kinda think they are cute, too, right up until the time they are bigger than my cat. I ran into a little girl once at the Windsor Zuchini Festival in Florida who was raising a couple or three after their mom had been hit by a car. The girl had gotten them out of their pouch and was keeping them in a apron she wore. They were about the size of my finger, and just adorable!

What's that possum doing so far north? Another sign of Global Warming? Should we call Al Gore?