1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Please post D3 crop photos

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Chris_B, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    If you have some D3 shots that are 30% or greater crops, please post them. I think that this may help some of the folks considering a used D3 (or D700) get a better feel for the "croppability" of the 12MP sensor. Also, if you have any experience printing cropped shots at 8"x10" or higher, please give us your impressions.

thanks,

Chris

2. Not sure what you mean Chris. 30% crops? Love to help, but not sure what you're looking for.

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Any D3 images where you made a significant crop of the original frame. If you can give us a sense of how much of a crop it was then, that would be helpful. I'm just trying to get a sense of how much you can crop a FX 12MP image compared to the DX 12MP images I now get with my D300.

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    I'm interested in the same thing, hence the thread I just posted in the dark side of the forums:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=176111

The D3 review on dpreview suggests the 12MP imagers are about the same?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Surely cropping 30% of a FX 12 Meg image is the same as cropping 30% of a DX 12 Meg image ? The DX gives the virtual 'zoom' effect but you are still only using 2800 x 950 pixels (approx).
    Or am I missing something ?

6. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    This is around 10% of the fiull D3 frame.....

p1059201792-4.
    NIKON D3    ---    340mm    f/6.3    1/1250s    ISO 560

7. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    That doesn't look too bad Simon :biggrin:. Thanks for posting it.

8. This approximately 50% of a D3 shot, at f/1.4

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    It just depends on the quality. You could also crop from a 12MP Fuji f100fd, but it definitely won't look as good. I find it surprising that the smaller pixel size of the D300 (vs D3) doesn't effect image quality (other than at high iso), but maybe that's where we are with current technology.

10. Have mercy

11. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    I don't think that's the issue he was getting at. The point I think he is concerned with (and I could be wrong :biggrin: ), is that with the full frame sensor, you may have to crop a lot more often (than you would with a DX sensor) to completely fill the frame. So if the subject completely fills the frame on a 12Mp DX sensor, then you have a 12Mp picture. But the same subject will appear to be much smaller in a FX sensor, and thus the need to crop more, resulting in a picture that is considerably less than 12Mp. It's a real issue for sport shooters and others, who rely on telephoto lenses. You just lose so much reach by going back to a FX camera.

12. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

A DX crop will give you a 5MP image, if that helps.

13. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Chris,

Greetings. Here is a 45% linear crop (about 20% of the total pixels) in a 50% jpeg... (got that? :wink:) 

[​IMG]

D3 200f2 1/1600 @ f/8 ISO200 1896x1264 crop (fully post-processed)

This would print just fine at 158 pixels/inch for an 8x12.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

14. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Yamo.

I've noticed that when cropping my D300 images, and my old D200 images, that high ISO shots with noise start to get worse when cropped. This makes complete sense since the noise gets accentuated as you blow up the shot.

I'm guessing that the good noise characteristics of the D3 helps quite a bit in this regard. If anyone has ISO 1600+ D3 images that have been cropped aggressively, they would be good to see.

Thanks again,

Chris

15. If I understand the drill LOL, this is the full D300 Image:

323012319_ZaxSr-L.

And this is a crop into perhaps a third the area (of course it's a moving object so not as sharp as a macro or studio shot:

[​IMG]

16. This is again, probably about a 50% crop, done b/c I basically had to blow out the sides/background to bring the robins into correct exposure. They've nested under an over-hang on the north side of my house (which is surrounded by very mature oaks), so there's not a lot of light in there.

D3, 300/4 AF-S + 1.4TC (total of 420mm), ISO 3200, f/5.6 (as wide as it goes with TC) and 1/250th

Here's another ISO 3200.

D3, 85/1.4 at f/1.8, 1/250th (hideous hideous mixed light), again, probably a 50% crop (removed ugly parts of gym).

View attachment 219566

D3 85/1.4 at f/2.8, 1/250th at ISO 5000
    View attachment 219567

Some shots, you just can't really save. Here's another of the robins, again at ISO 3200, 420mm f/6.3 and 1/200th. I just couldn't eek out enough light in there that day. Kept the shot mainly to show their progression (they should be fledging any day now). There is noise here, mostly in the birds, where the underexposure is. The nest itself looks fine.

No noise reduction used in any of these (PP or in camera, I shoot NEF only).

View attachment 219568

However, on the whole, as demo'd in the other shots, it really does do well! :smile:

17. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Chris,

Okay... one more. From a play (so stage lighting, etc.) about 15 rows back from the stage. About 60% linear crop, 36% of the pixels, 50% jpeg. :wink:

[​IMG]

D3 200f2 1/640 @ f/3.2 ISO3200 1869x2336 4.36MP (fully post-processed)

The noise characteristics (particularly when RAW converting with Capture NX) are IMO very manageable in post-processing. Where it appears it is largely luminance noise rather than chroma noise so it is grain-like in appearance. I mention NX because my mileage has varied with LR in regards to high iso chroma noise.

I printed this at 8x10 and was happy with the results (233 pixels/inch is plenty for printing).

One thing that doesn't get mentioned very often is that the ff RAW file is a joy to post-process (at least compared to the D200 files I've pped). I typically will work the file a fair amount balancing noise reduction against sharpening and curves fine detail work. The great fine detail and color that I get from the D3 (for my tastes, anyway) are hard to quantify but a major leap over the D200 IMO. As I said it's a joy to work with in post. I think a really big deal is the almost complete absence of chroma noise (ala NX conversion). I've not worked D300 files but my guess would be that the noise at higher iso (1600 and above) would swamp the resolution advantage of the cropped sensor.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

18. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Wow thanks. What immediately stands out to me is the great color at ISO 3200. The lack of objectionable noise with the cropped images is amazing too.

19. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Here is a 30% crop at 1/50s @ f/3.5 and ISO 6400. I brought the shadows up with D-Lighting in NX 2 and no ill effects in terms of shadow noise.

[​IMG]

20. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    67% crop.
    original.

full size
    View attachment 219570

Exif
    Nikon D3, Nikon 300mm f/4 w/1.4 TC.
    1/125s f/5.6 at 420.0mm iso4000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.