1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Please post some R1C1 examples

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Randy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. I am considering the kit since I already have an su800
    If you have some nice closeups please post them
    With the sigma 150 would be even better

2. husawis

husawis Guest

Randy - the last two posts i have are done using that kit with 60mm 2.8 micro see my meadow beauty (medicinal plants) and marsh st-johnswort in this forum. i also use that set-up on the sigma 150. it took a while to learn to use it but now i use it mostly with the extreme close-up adapter for macro work. a word of caution i have gone through four of these adapters and the colour filter holder you need to attach it to the sbr200 - poorly designed attachment and easily dislodged. Get rechargeable batteries or the units will eat you alive. all in all a nice kit and worth the investment.

3. when you say it took awhile to learn what did you mean ?
    my concern is that it may behave like the sb-800 in that it is difficult to get consistent results and avoid too much or too little light....
    thx

any sig 150 bug shots using it you can share ?
    and settings ?

thx again

4. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I purchased the R1C1 for macro shooting. Another reason I like it is I can use the flash with my SB800.

For this image the flash was not on the camera - Again, I like the flexibility of using them on the ring or off.

3448609432_8f6b5de0d3.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. husawis

husawis Guest

Randy - from my perspective it came from doing exactly what you said - getting light to be in the right place. i found that the extreme close-up adapter was the answer most of the time. the target light was next to useless in the conditions i work in. angela is right the flexibility for using multiple lights off camera is a neat thing but in the weeds not as useful as when i do setup shots. we use it for setups for our art catalog customers and now rarely us a tent.

6. what is the extreme close-up adapter ?
    so how do u think it will do for handheld macros ? I don't do setups or off camera flash, I stroll thru the botanical gardens looking for cool bugs.

7. I'm not an expert with flash by any means but I think the electronics in the R1 units is so finely tuned and the connection to the SU-800 (or Commander Mode firmware in your camera body) is also so good that placement of the flashes on the ring is my biggest concern most of the time. I use 3 units and wish the R1 or R1C1 was available with 3 or 4 SB-R200s. I almost never discard images for bad R1 performance. It's almost always bad composition, wrong background selection, or poor setup on my part.

Here are a couple with the R1C1 and Sigma 150 on either a D200 or a D90. Almost never get a hotspot, flash metering seems to be spot on every time. You can see a tiny bit of flash reflection in the third image but it's acceptable to me for that image.

97692369&exif=Y.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 400374

View attachment 400375

8. 1 is awesome
    2 is very good
    thx Mike, this is what I needed to see
    so did you order the r1c1 kit and then an xtra SB-R200s ?
    I already have an su800 so I will order the r1 kit and then play with it before i add a 3rd flash

9. husawis

husawis Guest

Randy - i use it for handheld macros and close-up non-macro photography including film work. the photos i referenced were handheld. btw if you want to use the 60mm, my favorite macro lens, you'll need the ur-5 adapter that does not come with the kit. the close-up adapter is in the kit (r1c1 or r1) without it i have found that macro shots are harshly lit. i assume you have experience with orchids - if so you know the reflectivity on the petals is difficult to light properly - it can be done but it is much easier with the adapter. i have three other photographers working with me they use the r1c1 for setup shots, that is not my role in the group. i think it is well worth the purchase, i do not do bugs and rarely use flash with any animal photos. sorry i can not be of more help.

10. Thanks Randy. I think they illustrate what can be done.
    I actually (read foolishly) ordered the R1 kit thinking the onboard commander mode in my cameras would be adequate. I bought the SU-800 and extra SB-R200 later. I find three units fine for all the close up work I do but I'll probably pick up a 4th if one shows up at and attractive price or on sale somewhere.

11. Two Flints

Two Flints

Oct 11, 2008
    MA & ME
    Mike,

Any chance We could see a photo of your setup, camera with R1C1 and aux. lights?

Thanks,

Two Flints

12. I'll have to set it up as I don't tend to take images of my gear. Here is a 2 light setup from Luminous Landscape.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/r1c1.shtml

Check out this YouTube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSICyhRD3Jo

Using more than two SB-R200s is just a matter of attaching them and arranging them on the ring. Be patient and I'll try to post something in a few days.

As a caution, older smaller AF lenses that physically change their length due to focusing or zooming may not have a motor robust enough to support the weight of an R1 system. The manual specifies the number of recommended SB-R200 units that can be used with a given Nikkor lens.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  13. That was my question and the reason why I did not buy it for my Tamron 90 (55m dia. and it extends a lot).

14. Alex -
    Perhaps you could post this question on some other photography sites and let's hope one of our members here will see this. Noone I shoot with uses the Tamron 90 (I don't think) so I probably would not have chance to try it.

15. Two Flints

Two Flints

Oct 11, 2008
    MA & ME
    Thanks Mike,

The links are very interesting. Appreciate your reply.

Two Flints

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.