1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Please post some sigma 150 + 1.4 TC bugs

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Randy, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Randy these aren't with a TC but with a D300 if you're shooting with a FX it'll be close.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nice work Eugene
    I have the 150 and since I am now shooting it on my d3 I am considering the sigma 1.4 tc

3. Randy,

FL of the 1.4TC would be like the D300. It was really good to work with, I could easily keep my distance from some bugs as well as get up close and personal.

I don't know how the TC will affect AF distance, unless you want to shoot at f2.8 you won't really miss it. I don't know enough to comment on loss of IQ due to the TC.

I know there was a fellow cafe member selling both his 150mm and 1.4 TC, I'm sure he'll see this thread and chime in.

But that being said I'm very interested in acquiring this lens again.

4. sigma says u loose 5" of closeness w/ the TC but you can MF inside 20" with the TC
    min distance is 15" w/o TC

5. Randy - how about these?

3455362255_64f495b9d6_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3455370977_193801aaf6_b.jpg

3456174416_9dc5ae60bc_b.jpg

3456205982_1eba91116d_b.jpg

6. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I'd get the TC, Randy. With your hand holding abilities I don't think you'll have any issues with the working distance.

I just purchased one from a Cafe member but the weather has been lousy so no good tripod work to show yet. But I gotta say that DOF sure gets shallow quickly with the TC mounted!

Here's a quick snap I made under poor light at 1/200s, hand-held, ISO 1600:
    p4245761.jpg

7. Quick question, how does this lens hold up for non-macro shooting?

8. thx !
    nice shot
    AF or MF
    how close were you ?

9. nice work John, thx for posting these

10. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I was approximately 15" from her (lens to subject), bracing against the side of a tool shed.

I used AF but had to touch it up to get the focus point where I wanted... or at least tried to do so :) 

Not much experience yet with the TC but I haven't noticed any AF issues such as increased hunting and the like. Just the inherently thinner DOF with the increased focal length when working close.

BTW, my TC is the older version, APO EX non-DG.

11. thx !

dof is a non issue for me because i shoot the d3 using auto iso and i'll just push aperture to f11 or more and let the iso go whereever

i'm gonna order one in the AM

12. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    LOL! That D3 seems to have no barrier in terms of usable ISO! I'm envious of that incredible machine.

Looking forward to seeing your work with the Sigma/TC combination!

13. mikhailr

mikhailr Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In fact, after I tryed Sigma TC 1.4 with Sigma 150mm I have almost never detached the TC from the lens.

Mikhail.

14. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Very nice, Mikhail.

I imagine mine will also spend more time on the lens than off :) 

15. I really need to go out with the Bugma... maybe this weekend...

16. 3LPCPhotography

3LPCPhotography

Oct 30, 2008
    Canada
    I've used my Sigma with the Kenko TC and gotten great results.

Tom

17. Great for portraits! I think this lens holds one of the lowest distortion ratings.

AF can be a bit slow, so I wouldn't recommend this for anything that requires fast focusing.

18. Juan Leon

Juan Leon

May 1, 2008
    Spain
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.