Please Read / Southward Migration

Discussion in 'Birds' started by BirdLady, Oct 2, 2008.

1. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Thanks in advance for those who are willing to read this.

Here is a list of birds that have been in my yard. I am still waiting for conformation on a couple of them.

Southward Migration (July 1, 2008 - October 1, 2008)

American Redstart (30 plus)
    Black-and-White Warbler (1)
    Blackburnian Warbler (3)
    Black-throated Green Warbler (2)
    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (5)
    Canada Warbler (10 plus)
    Cedar Waxwings (15)
    Chestnut-sided Warbler (20)
    Common Yellowthroat Warbler (3)
    Gray-cheeked Thrush (5)
    Great Crested Flycatcher (1)
    Hooded Warbler (5)
    Magnolia Warbler (10 plus)
    Mourning Warbler (1)
    Nashville Warbler (2)
    Northern Parula (5)
    Orchard Oriole (1)
    Philadelphia Vireo (1)
    Pine Warbler (1)
    Red-eyed Vireo (8)
    Rose-breasted Grosbeak (3)
    Scarlet Tanager (4)
    Summer Tanager (3)
    Swainson’s Thrush (6)
    Tennessee Warbler (40)
    White-eyed Vireo (5)
    Yellow Warbler (3)

First thing in the morning I go outside to my pond to see if there are anymore migrating birds. Eight out of ten times they will be one to four migratory birds. I then fill up the feeders and debate on whether to take pictures today or not. Why not, is because I am exhausted. I have been steadily doing this for almost four weeks, six to eight hours a day. This along with editing, downloading, uploading and checking for accuracy of the species is more than I have done in a very, very long time. Plus, charging 20 plus AA batteries (for the 5 flash units) and two for my camera and having to place the flashes around the pond is getting too much for me. I am no spring chicken, more like an old hen I guess. So, before anyone can say that they are jealous about the variety, or the amount of the variety I get, step in my shoes for a minute or two and then tell me if you would do the same thing.

It is expensive and time consuming to feed the birds what we feed them. I purchase food from four stores and order wax and meal worms from two different places. I fill up and cleaned out feeders constantly. I plant something every year for the birds too. It is worked, but I love it.

Debbie (BirdLady)

PS: This all started with a family of Eastern Bluebird that had visited our backyard one spring day.

http://www.pbase.com/birdlady/birds

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  2. Debbie,

Your hard work really paid off here. Look at the list of migrating birds you
    got. It's amazing. You've created an ideal oasis for the birds to stop by
    and they really love it. Your story reminds me of a ranch where its owner
    has a famous hummingbird viewing site in AZ. We went there this summer
    to photograph hummingbirds and I saw husband/wife taking down all the feeders
    at night because nector-sucking bats will show up at night and they
    will empty the feeders and early in the morning,puttind up the feeders again.
    On top of that,they have to take care of apple orchard in a 10 acre property.
    They are,I guess,in their late 60's but they could be older that that. One day,
    I saw the lady riding on an ATV to patrol the property on a rainy day.

It's hard work and I sensed that they really loved/cared about what they're doing.

I don't think I could do it if I were in your shoes,but I wish I could find such a place nearby.

3. Your work is certainly appreciated! I love looking at your posts! I suspect this is a labor of love. :smile:

4. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    Hi Debbie ,,,, "If you build it , they will come" ,,,, hahah you made the habitat ,, provided different food resourses and they are there,,, it is really great ,, I too have about 5 acres here I have made to accomadate the birds and I also get a large variiety like yourself ,,, this year though our drought conditions here have once again slowed things down..it is reallynice to walk out back and be able to photograph such agreat variety of birds and you are right ,, you spend hours out there gettin' them as they don't just hold still for ya .Thanks for sharing all your photos and i know your birds are lovin' you for giving them what they need. GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!

5. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Thanks for responding.

It took a couple of year of observing and researching to find out what would attract birds to my yard. Not only that but my husband and I tried so many different things to see what it would take to keep them here. I now have 33 species that had came through my yard since July 1, 2008.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Debbie,

I know how hard it is to do what you are doing, and I appreciate your efforts - BUT, I'm still jealous. :biggrin:

Seriously, I wish I had the time to get involved at this level. Unfortunately, my load at work is so heavy right now, that I don't even have time to shoot / process. I still fill my feeders every day though, in the hope that my birdies will be there when I get over the hump at work. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

7. Always love to read your stories about it, Debbie. This is really great job and you're truly a bird lover.

8. rcooper

rcooper

Jan 12, 2008
    elba,al
    Ralph
    Debbie,I really like your post.You have a good knowledge of backyard birds,probably more than anyone on the forum.Keep posting,please.

9. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Just amazing Debbie - I just loved loooking through your photos. Now I know where ALL our Gold Finches go over the winter!! I thought we had a lot of feeders - but we only have five! :biggrin:

10. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Thanks for reading and responding. I forgot to mention that my resident Redtail Hawks are back. I also have two Cooper and at least one Sharp-shinned that are here just about every day. Sometime I can wait for an hour or two before a bird will show up. Then when they do it can be just for a quick minute or two then usually the Blue Jays give the warning that a hawk is back in the yard and all the birds go in hiding. Those are the days I call the Hawk day. Which mean that the Hawks have been here almost all day long.

The main reason I have so many migrating birds is because I let the plant called Pokeweed to grow anywhere it wants too. Just about all birds will eat the berries from this plant. The birds then will disperse the seeds from the berries and next year I will have more Pokeweed plants. The cycle continues over and over. Birds are their own gardener. Give them a place to plant and they will plant their favorite food.

The second reason is because I have such a large number of resident birds already here. The birds landing and or flying over or near my yard can see and hear other birds. Then it become what I call the monkey see, monkey do thing. The birds see and hear other birds so they figure that it is safe and they come down.

Marsha, I normally have around 400 A. Goldfinches in late winter but last year I had a little less. You can not imagine the amount we were spending on Thistle seeds.