Please read text and ID 'Fluffy' For me

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Bob the Spiderman, Oct 12, 2005.

1. In August 2004, Beryl, my Mother-in Law's Mynar Bird died. He was called Bruce as his previous ownner was an Australian Opel Miner, but we called him Dan Dan the dirty old man Because of his bad language and after an incident involving the leader of a local prayer group who was a friend of Beryl's. Apparently when Bruce saw this lady he said in his best Aussie accent. ' Hiya Sheila. Drop them you've pulled.'
    Anyway I digress. Beryl was understandably very upset so I suggested I get her a replacement. She agreed but wanted something different and fluffy.' Try as I might I could not find anything that fitted this description until returning from a trip to the Red Kite Centre in Wales. I had stopped for some petrol in the village of Ysppty Ystwyth, and opposite the petrol station was a premises signed up as 'Dai's Exotic Pets.' The shop was very dark and it was difficult to see through the windows, So I went in and could just about make out lots of tanks full of reptiles insects and spiders. There were no birds and no one behind the counter. As I went to leave I spotted a large 4' square metal cage on te floor behind the door which contained the uglist looking bird I had ever seen. Bald Head, evil eye and a large hooked beak a bit like Beryl actually. The owner of the shop then appeared and I asked how much it was. 'Nothing .' he said. Somebody had apparently dumped it on his door step with a note and a list of instuctions for feeding. So off I went with this bird in the cage on the back seat.
    I then called in to Beryl's on the way home and much to my surprise she was over the moon and immmediately called it 'Fluffy because of the feathers that sprouted out from round its' neck. I gave her the envelope with the note and instructions and returned to Cornwall.
    Three months later I had a phonecall to say that 'Fluffy' was very well, although expensive to feed because of its' meat based diet and due to its size Beryl had had to empty the old shed and get a neighbour to build a flight run of 25 feet and stocked the shed and flight area with large branches. At this point I must admit to being very puzzled and said that I would come up to see 'Fluffy' as soon as I could. In Early June of this year I had another call from Beryl to say that 'Fluffy had got out and was terrorising the local dogs, cats and people walking the streets and could I come up immediately to see if I could catch it. So up I went to her home to find this bloody great bird flying up and down her garden screeching at the top of its voice for food, which apparently Beryl gave it daily. This appeared to be any type of meat she could afford. Well to be honest I got off one picture, the one below. and legged it back home asap and I ain't been back since. However I would be grateful for an ID as it is still free and the police are rather worried about it.

Best wishes Bob F.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  2. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!
    what a neat and funny story!

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Sounds like a halloween version of one of Jarrell's Bubba stories. Not sure what that thing is, looks like a raptor of some sort. It looks mean, I think the police and everyone have good cause for concern. Is the village missing any children?
    It might be a Harpy Eagle......

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Egads Bob!! :eek:

Could be a Harpy Eagle, but they are normally native to S. America, not the UK. How big is it?

Nice shot BTW. :smile:

5. Flew. It is immense. I would estimate the wingspan at 8 to 9 feet and they make a hell of a WOOSH as it passes over head.

Baywing. I have not heard if any children are missing, but more worrying is that I have not heard from the Mother in Law for at least a week.

BW. Bob F.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    A great picture with a great story. I'm not a bird expert at all, but thus must be a vulture. I saw some of those on vacation last summer in the Galilee. See picture below (it's bad, I know - first time I shot flying birds, and I wasn't prepared for it at all).

The above picture is a Griffon vulture. They are very rare!!! and protected. Since they feed on dead meat, they can quite easily get killed by poisoned or bad meat.

See also the link here: http://www.birdguides.com/html/vidlib/species/Gyps_fulvus.htm

or Goolge for "vulture".

7. Hey Heiko. That looks like it, although I am still not sure. No wonder it would only eat meat!! Do you think it would come down to a dead rabbit. If so then I could throw a net over it.
    According to my bird book they are in Europe but their main stronghold is in Spain.

Bob F.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like Heiko nailed it. Now if you can just find your M-I-L. :rolleyes:

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    If I hadn't seen such birds with my own eyes, I'd never guess. This must be SOME sight up there in Cornwall. Your idea with the dead rabbit might work, but the bird could be very shy and I'm wondering if you'd ever get close enough to throw on a net. In any case, I would be very careful not to harm this bird. And even more careful that he doesn't hurt you.

As to what I remember about the guided tour I took in the Galilee, these birds are hard to keep in captivity. The specific Griffon vulture I've seen are near extiction, and one of the only save places for them is there in the Galilee. Even then the wild park authority puts in great effort to prevent any harm to them.

Perhaps you may want to contact one of the major zoos in England, one that has the means to take care of this beauty (yes, I rather like this bird). On the other hand, if he's doing well in Cornwall with your M-I-L, why not?

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
  11. Definately Gyps fulvus. I have got hold of the M.in L. and told her to get the village to club together and buy half a cow rather than a rabbit. This should do it.

Bob F.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bob,
    Truly wonderful story. Fluffy is BEAUTIFUL...

Loved your humor in the story. Well told.

I hope MIL gets to keep Fluffy and he/she is is captured safe and sound.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol just saw

Half a cow....!!!!!!!!

roflmao

14. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Bob,
    Tell me your not pulling all of our collected legs here? Great story and photo. :tongue:

15. Dave. I am mortally wounded! I am a retired accountant of 40 years and of impeccable reputation and a pillar of the community. Now I ask you, have you ever heard of an accountant with a sense of humour? Of course not but then again I could be the acception to the rule!!
    BW Bob F.

16. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    My neighbours call me the 'pillock of the community'. Is that the same? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It went dark here recently, could have been Fluffy on her way back.

17. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Half a cow? Get a whole one!

18. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel

Watch out there in Cornwall and keep on the move, else Fluffy may take you for a carcas.

19. Good for HEIKO!! Not only did he correctly ID the bird but due to his inspired suggestion of a WHOLE COW 'Fluffy' became unable to fly. She has now been captured and it at this very moment in time is on her way to her new home at BIRDLAND in Bourton on the Water.

Thanks to all of you for joining in my bit of fun, and I hope that some of you got a laugh out of it. Laughs and smiles are needed in today's world.

Oh yes. Hi Rob. Are you sure that large shadow is not being formed by the two helium balloons in the shape of a helicopter and the 'Milleniium Falcon. that you hang above your house? I know that Carrick District Council will be writing to you soon about whether or not you have applied for, and been granted the necessary planning permission.

BW. Bob F.

20. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    That is no way to describe my good lady! :eek:

Incoming!!!!!!!!