1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Please recommend a backpack

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Pa, Jul 14, 2018.

1. After finally deciding on the gear I need for an upcoming trip I find that my current backpack is not quite up to the task. This backpack will be primarily used to carry my gear on trips involving airline travel, so it needs to fit in an overhead compartment easily.

I need to be able to carry a D750, D7200, and about four lenses. I also need a slot for a 13-inch laptop computer, and a way to attach a modest tripod. My current backpack is an older LowePro Mini Trekker AW which holds the camera gear o.k. but has no place for the laptop.

I know there are too many choices out there, but I need to make a quick decision since I depart on July 23rd. Ideally I would go to a shop with a large selection and pick something out, but that is out of the question in the boondocks where I live.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. Jim, yesterday Amazon delivered a Lowepro 400 AW II backpack. I think it would hold the gear you mentioned, and will go an airplane as a carry-on. The carry-on and the ability to carry my 15 inch MacBook was important. I’ll be using it next week. Like you, I’ve got another Lowepro bag that has lasted me 5 years, I’m happy with it but couldn’t carry my MacBook.

3. Thanks, Rick. I'll look at that. The Think Tank Photo Airport Essentials looks pretty good too.

4. Is this the one?

5. Have a Lowepro Mini Trecker but not the AW. Mine is quite long in the tooth and not real comfortable for extended outings, So I'm also in the market for a new backpack.

I've been looking at the Mindshift Backlight 26L. The 26L is a back opening backpack that will also fit both a 15" and Large tablet. Other plus is that it is part of the Think Tank Family of backpacks. From the reviews I've read it is also quite comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Looks like a great pack but probably larger than I need.

7. The absolutely very best backpack is the one that someone carries for me. :ROFLMAO: 

8. Jim, yes. That’s the same one. Amazon had the previous model for $113, I don’t know what changed in the newer one, the pictures looked very similar.

9. They also have the backlight 15L which still holds a 13" laptop and a full size tablet. They show the interior with 2 D750's with attached 70-200, and attached 24-70 and then a 14-24 and 85 1.8.

10. O.K. three models under consideration:

1) Think Tank Photo Airport Essentials Backpack (Small, Black)
    Weighs 3.6 lbs, costs $199.75

2) MindShift Gear BackLight 18L Backpack
    Weighs 3.53 lbs, costs $199.99

3) Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II Camera Backpack (Black)
    Weighs 3.3 lbs, costs $149.99

The internals and features of all look pretty similar, and it appears that any of the three would serve my purposes. How to decide?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  11. After watching the video I'm pretty impressed with the Mindshift 18L. It appears that Mindshift is just another brand of Think Tank Photo.

12. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    (Mike) Michael Skerritt.
    That looks like a very well made and most importantly a very comfortable bag to carry. All that back padding is exactly what I would want in a medium to large backpack.
    Lere is a link I found that reily explains in full how much you can fit in one.
    Cheers.
    Mike

13. Thanks, Mike, but I think the video on the Think Tank website describes it best.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    (Mike) Michael Skerritt.
    Hi Jim. Yes the smaller 18L one looks like it might be what you were looking for in a smaller backpack. I myself would go for the larger sized one the 26L as I think I would get lots more use from it ie. holidays/hiking/day trips etc. But then I have four other Lowepro bags? But these look so comfy.(y)
    Mike

15. If I filled the 26L I probably wouldn't be able to carry it. :( 

16. I've ordered the MindShift Gear BackLight 18L. Will report my impressions after I get it, which should be Wednesday.

17. Now you tell me! :eek: :p :D .

Actually, I should have checked there before ordering. A couple of those look pretty interesting, but they would have to be shipped from Cali and might not make it in time.

18. The Mindshift Backlight 18L arrived yesterday, and so far I'm quite pleased. I'll need to rearrange the dividers from their default positions to fit my gear, however.

Do most of you travel with camera bodies and lenses separate?

19. I and my wife always travel with one lens mounted on her camera body and one lens mounted on my camera body. She almost always uses just that one lens. I keep my other lenses inside my bag or inside a separate carrying case mounted to the outside of my bag.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.