Please recommend Photoshop book

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Has anyone found a book on Photoshop CS that can be unequivocally recommended? I am familiar with the basics, but have a long way to go in understanding layers and colorspaces, etc.

Thanks for your help.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    There's two books I regularly reccommend:

The Photoshop CS* Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby, New Riders Publishing. This is an easy-to-follow, cook-book style, how to manual for color, retouching and other basic processing functions.

Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS* by Bruce Fraser, Peach Pit Press. Theory and practice of Raw conversion, archiving, and batch processing.

I find both of these to be indespensible if you use Photoshop and ACR. If you use Nikon Capture to convert your Raw files, I'd reccommend the e-book, Digital Photography - Acquisition and Processing Techniques by Ron Reznick, RR Design.

* I have the CS version of these books, but they are published for later versions (and Elements 3.0 in the case of Kelby's book.)

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

5. I have Scott Kelby's book and it is excellent. I have gotten far more out of that book than the two much larger tome's that I have. He uses a step by step process for teaching various skills.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

7. I can recommend not a book but a training CD. I have Total Training by Deke McClellan and it is an a to z course in which someone takes you by the hand and walks you through Photoshop. You can open it at any point to work on a particular part that you want such as working in layers or how to use Bridge etc. or you can use it like a book and start at the beginnning. There are also several specialized versions such as Photoshop for Photographers which specialize more on photography isssues than on graphics design. Total Training is just one. It is a bit expensive for the intitial purchase at $300 but you can also buy used ones on Ebay for about the price of an upgrade version which is usually about half price and which are just as good as new usually. Also Scott Kelbey founder of NAPP has many training CDs which are very well done.

I have stacks of books on Photoshop xx, most of which gather dust, but I do use the training cds and find them very helpful and even somewhat entertaining which helps.

Another approach is Lynda.com wich has a monthly fee of $25 per month and allows you access to many training cd's through the internet including several on Photoshop. and as you might expect you can also buy the cd but the advantage there is that you can try before you buy. I think there is a sample of TT that is shipped with PS CS2.

I have purchased the Total Training for Photoshop CS2 and so now have TT for Photoshop CS which I have been meaning to put on Ebay but if anyone here is interested, let me know. I would much rather sell it here.

8. Chris,
    From your posts, I know you to be one of the most helpful, knowledgable, and just downright nice guys in the forum, but your new avitar is really scary. LOL

I like it!!!

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Another vote for Kelby and Fraser. I seem to spend inordinate amounts of money on PS books, but keep coming back to these two.

10. Many thanks for all the replies. I am pleased to see such a strong convergence of opinion toward one choice. Looks like I'll be starting with Kelby's book and see if I need to go further.

I posted this question several weeks ago on the Digital Grin and got such divergent views I gave up and bought nothing. :roll:

As a retired nuclear engineering professor, let me say that if any of you folks ever need any help with your nuclear reactor, just let me know. I'll be glad to help! :wink:

11. ROFL! I'll keep that in mind, Pa :lol:.

Count this as another vote for Scott Kelby's book. I keep it near at all times, and regard it as the finest work of its kind.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hee hee. Thanks Scott, Paul! Paul, the copy of Fraser's book I have is for plain ol' CS. I'll bet you could find one in an old book bin somewhere.

Well, I don't have a reactor but I am putting together a 0.6m proton liniac using two Van de Graaff's and a low pressure hydrogen ionizer to attempt some inner orbital chemistry on various alkaline earths and transition metals (calcium through tantalum.) A colleuge pointed out that, since I'm slamming my protons into a copper bowl holding the reactants at 300-600 kV (but less then one microamp) I could be looking at dangerous levels of x-radiation.

I'm thinking some bags of cement will do, but what would you suggest for shielding? I have no budget to speak of.

13. Huh?

If it's just alpha radiation, you can shield it with premium glossy photo paper. 10 mils should do it, but use double sheets for a margin of safety.

If it's gamma, your reproductive organs may be in jeopardy... but from the look of your avatar, you're well past breeding age.

14. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    It's tough to get everything in one book...Photoshop is just too complex for that.

As for learning about color & color correction:

Photoshop Color Correction by Michael Kieran

Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction by Dan Margulis

As mentioned above, Scott Kelby's books are awesome! I have everything he has written.

For digital photography and Photoshop (also mentioned above):

Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers: A Professional Image Editor's Guide to the Creative Use of Photoshop by Martin Evening

C

15. Early a.m. here and the coffee is still brewing, so my brain is a bit foggy, but hre's what I think. If you dislodge an inner electron from your subject materials, and an outer electron falls into that orbit, what energy x-ray is released? If you get sufficient quantities of those x-rays you will need some shielding. A stack of bags of cement should be sufficient, however.

If you want to provide more detail, PM me and we can take this discussion out of a photography forum (though you could fog some photographic plates with what you are doing!).

16. I also have the photoshop cs book for digital photographers and it is EXCELLENT! I love this book. It gives step by step techniques that are very easy to follow. He also has a nice sense of humor I think.....

17. I have ordered Scott Kelby's book. I'm going to be away for a bit over a week, but I look forward to reading it when I return - it should be here by then.

18. Jay Keller

Jay Keller Guest

While we're on the topic, I recommend a non-Photoshop book which is nevertheless related and is guaranteed to enhance one's understanding of some of the issues related to digital image processing and printing:

Mastering Digital Printing, 2nd. Edition, by Harald Johnson

Here's the Amazon link, you can read some reviews there:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592004318/qid=1119776815

Not just informative and practical, it's actually fun to read.