Please send good thoughts for my mom

Thanks, everyone! I always worry about my parents on the motorcycle, but I generally worry someone will cut them off. I have to admit I never really worried about anyone hitting them while they weren't even both on the bike yet! :eek:

Mom's finally home, and I just got her settled down for the night. There's a nurse staying at the house overnight, so dad and I can actually get some rest. We're both wiped out, and dad's getting badly run down, which worries me further. He's spent the week at the hospital and only gone home for a few hours on a couple of days. Not good. :frown:

Mom's being a real trooper, though. The hard part is going to be keeping her resting--she hates being laid up, and is likely to try to push herself too hard and too soon. We're all going to have to stay on her case to make sure she isn't rushing things. :rolleyes:

She'll see the surgeon again next week, and we'll know more then.

Thanks to everyone for your support, and for letting me rant a bit. The mind just boggles that there are actually people who can hurt others like this and not even care a bit. It's bad enough it happened at all, but smiling about it just made it that much worse. I'll never understand some people. :frown:

I am beyond words after reading about the conduct of the driver that hit you mom. My wishes for a speedy recovery for your mom and the best for your family.

I am beyond words after reading about the conduct of the driver that hit you mom. My wishes for a speedy recovery for your mom and the best for your family.

Same here. Sending a Prayer for your Family Dawn. Stay Strong.

Thanks, everyone!

Mom slept through the night, and is sleeping again now. She's one tough cookie, I have to say. Now I know where I get it from. :cool:

The hardest part, I think, will be when she realizes just how long it's going to take to get back to some semblance of normal. She won't like that, and I'm betting she won't like the scars, either. I have no real idea of what it looks like under all of the bandages, and I'm really not ready to know, either. It's my understanding that the visible damage was about 8 inches by 4 inches, and from what the surgeon said there's damage all the way through the leg, so he had a lot more muscle & tendon repair to do than he initially thought. Yikes! :eek: Mom doesn't really realize it yet, but she's in this for the long haul. :frown:

On the bright side, I live very close by, and between me & her friends, there are plenty of people to look after her and my dad while we get through this.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's thoughts. It really helps to have that moral support. :smile:

Yeah, I generally think sueing is pointless, but in this case, sue for medical bills, time lost (from work, if retired, make up an arbitrary but reasonable number) and court costs.

The only thing I can think of is she *really* hates motorcyclists, or is a pychopath.

Mom's having trouble keeping food down, thanks to the meds. It's driving her crazy that she can't do things, and that she can't go upstairs (her bedroom is on the second floor--we've got her set up with a bed downstairs). She's pretty miserable all around right now. :frown:

We're all hanging in there, though, and doing what needs to be done. Just taking it one day at a time right now.

An idea for your Mother (may she fully recover!) - Knitting or needlepoint. There is even software out there that will turn photographs into patterns. Not all that easy, so it will occupy her mind until she is able to get back on the "hog".

Mom's having trouble keeping food down, thanks to the meds. It's driving her crazy that she can't do things, and that she can't go upstairs (her bedroom is on the second floor--we've got her set up with a bed downstairs). She's pretty miserable all around right now. :frown:

We're all hanging in there, though, and doing what needs to be done. Just taking it one day at a time right now.

Dawn, I could send your Mom some patterns and stuff for counted cross stitich or whatever she likes to do - knitting, crochet, other pastimes?

That's horrible, my heart and prayers go out to your mom and your entire family. It's not for me to judge the lady with the smirk who injured your mom, just imagine what it will be like for her to live with herself once reality sets in. Also, I think it's wonderful that your mom and dad go for rides, hope they continue to do so once she gets better.

Thanks, everyone!

On the bright side, I live very close by, and between me & her friends, there are plenty of people to look after her and my dad while we get through this.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's thoughts. It really helps to have that moral support. :smile:

You don't realize this yet, but you and her friends just "being there" is going to be one of the most important things to help in her recovery. Toughest part is going to be listening to her whine and complain, while you still have to maintain an upbeat demeanor. I have been on both sides of that fence, most recently on your side just these past few months, and their is no better medicine along the road to recovery than that. You are already doing a great job, keep it up.

Keep on the doctors about this, there are many options on the meds, including anti-nauseau, that can help. The miserable will be there for a while, and if it gets you down, don't let her see that if you can, at least not until she is well on the way to recovery.

An idea for your Mother (may she fully recover!) - Knitting or needlepoint. There is even software out there that will turn photographs into patterns. Not all that easy, so it will occupy her mind until she is able to get back on the "hog".

Knitting or needlepoint? What the heck is WRONG with you? This is, after all, the Nikon Cafe, at least recommend a new hobby in photographing all the neat little things around the house :biggrin:

A "Mind Occupier" though is a great idea.

Best to Mom, let her know that a buch of us are looking forward to a full recovery, and maybe she can be on the next Dancing with the Stars :wink:

Lastly, you metioned your Dad getting run down, don't forget yourself either. It is really too darned easy to forget you, so please don't.

Thanks, everyone!

Dianne, mom just bought a cross stitch kit before this happened, so that will keep her busy for a while when she's ready for it--thanks for the suggestion! I can remind her about that when she's feeling up to it. :smile:

Yesterday, we played Scrabble with her, and she did surprisingly well, considering all the meds in her. She seems to do a little better during the day than in the evening/night.

She likes to read, too, so I suspect she'll be doing a lot of that as well. Maybe I can finally persuade her to make better use of the Nook dad got her for Christmas--she's a "real book" person, and uses the Nook sparingly, but I'm thinking she's not going to be getting to the library much for a while. Now I can get her to try the library's eReader selections at last!

Bill, what is this "yourself" of which you speak? :confused: :wink: And does staying up until 2 a.m. watching meteors and/or pieces of a German satellite coming down count as taking care of myself? :rolleyes: I saw them on my way home last night, and couldn't resist laying out on a blanket watching the sky for a while. It was a nice diversion, even if it did keep me up late.

Well, time to get myself together and get back over there. Again, thanks to all of you for your warm thoughts & support! It's a real help. :smile:

Yesterday, we played Scrabble with her, and she did surprisingly well, considering all the meds in her. She seems to do a little better during the day than in the evening/night.

What kinds of drugs, er "meds"? I need to up my Scrabble game .... :wink::wink:

Remember that by the time evening/night rolls around her body has been doing a lot more, this is very normal. I'm guessing that very shortly, another week or so, and you are really going to be noticing progress, great progress, evidenced by her complaining far more about having to just "sit around" :smile:

Bill, she's already complaining about having to sit around! She hates feeling under the weather even with a normal cold, so this is going to drive her nuts. We'll definitely have to find ways to keep her occupied once she's feeling a bit better. :eek:

Prayer for your mom, Dawn. That is terrible.

I hope that dumb broad gets what's coming to her for being such a horrible individual.

Thanks so much!

Mom was feeling pretty down about it today. It's so unfair...but such is life, I guess. All we can do is deal with it.

It's nice to have so many good thoughts coming her way. The moral support here at the Cafe is wonderful! Thank you!! :smile:

Dawn, I just saw this. I'm glad your mom is okay. What an ordeal. I'm so sorry this happened to her.

Mean people suck.

Latest threads

Top Bottom