'Please Talk Me Out Of Jumping Ship'

I have an opportunity to get a new Sony SLT A55 new for $699 USD (no tax since it's through a Sony roadshow via Army/Air Force Exchange)

Main question is whether or not the SLT A55 autofocuses as fast as the D300s?

Or should I just keep my D5000?

I don't know about focus speed.
I would look at lenses. I like the idea of the new Sony NEX camcoorders being able to share Sony lenses. You already have a Sony NEX-3 which can share lenses with the new NEX-VG-10 video camcorder. The Sony SLT A55 uses A mount lenses. You can buy an A mount to NEX mount adapter to use A mount lenses on the NEX still and video cameras for $200. I don't see an adapter for using NEX lenses on a A camera.
The question is, would you buy the NEX-VG-10 or future version? It looks like a very nice camcorder.

Once you start to invest in lenses you are stuck with that brand unless you want to sell and take a loss to switch manufacturers. Sony is ahead of Nikon in the video aspect but Nikon leads in still photography.

My decision was to stick with Nikon for stills and buy a dedicated Sony HD camcorder. I'm happy with that combination.

The Sony SLT A55 retails at the Sony online store for $749 body only. I would not base my decision on saving 50 bucks.

Good stuff to ponder over....tks :smile:
Actually, for the $699 USD, it also comes with the SAM 18-55 kit lens....

Good stuff to ponder over....tks :smile:
Actually, for the $699 USD, it also comes with the SAM 18-55 kit lens....

You save $150 on a new camera that even B&H is selling for list and pre-order. Yes it's a good deal.
How does this affect future lens choices?
Are you ready to commit to Sony?

Once you start to invest in lenses you are stuck with that brand unless you want to sell and take a loss to switch manufacturers.

What he said.

Or in my case, I am going Nikon because that what someone else has and I hope to beg, barrow, steal their stuff in the future.

I'll make this easy. Don't jump to Sony for a DSLR.
Resale value on used equipment will always be higher with Nikon. As you upgrade, Nikon will retain resale value much higher than Sony.
Keep your photography dollars for Nikon.

Resale value on used equipment will always be higher with Nikon. As you upgrade, Nikon will retain resale value much higher than Sony.

Yes...
Logically speaking, you're 100% correct....
I can only hope that there's a Nikon roadshow in the future.....:smile:

I'd be inclined to agree. I came to Nikon from Sony; and from just a big picture standpoint Nikon to me seems to be more refined than Sony is (or was at that time).

First: I just read the experiences from a long-time Minolta shooter who got an A33 from Sony to play with for a couple of weeks. Getting stuff for free (without any advertisement money hanging on to it) is liberating as it allows critical judgement - buying equipment usually impairs one with the "of course I made the right choice, I'm not an idiot" syndrome.

He didn't like the EVF. Yes, it's one of the best EVF's out there. But it's still a long way to go. I played around with it at the Photo Plus Expo in NYC and it performed well, but take it outside (as my tester did) and the known issues of EVF (suckiness in high-contrast situations) immediately raised it's ugly head. Also, metering info and other status text is superimposed over your image and blocks your view. I suggest taking a real good look at the viewfinder before committing.

Second: granted you haven't vested a lot of money into a system but switching is an expensive hobby. Keep in mind that your Nikon lenses will do just as fine (or bad) as Sony lenses on the NEX - they both need an adapter (Nikon lenses might not autofocus but neither will the Sony lenses)
Third - one thing that is attractive about Nikon is the large second hand market. Sony doesn't have that to the extend that Nikon has it - Minolta's alpha mount never had the market share that Nikon's F mount has had.
Four - the Sony flash system is wonderful (even in the cheapest models the popup can be a "CLS" master, and once the camera is in master mode you can simply slide a flash onto the hotshoe to "program" it into remote mode. How's that, Nikon?). But the flashes are expensive and the non-standard foot, superior as it is, is a pain in the rear-end because it's non-standard.
Five - Lenses. Sony has a smaller offering than Nikon, and expands their program even slower than Nikon. Don't get me wrong, the glass is excellent; Sony's 70-300G is better (and more expensive) than Nikon's 70-300VR, there's no Nikon equivalent to the superb 70-400 and then there's all the Zeiss glass. And the 135STF makes the Nikon 85/1.4 look like a cheap toy when it comes to bokeh. But... the program is limited. Their 70-200 is outrageous expensive (same price tag as the Nikon version but it's basically a 80-200 - VR is in the camera after all) and getting old, and no hints of a replacement. And although the situation is rapidly improving, there's less choice from Tokina, Tamron and Sigma as well.

Don't get me wrong, Sony has a great system and I actually recommend it a lot to coworkers. But if you already have a Nikon you're going to lose money on selling the existing camera and replacing it with a Sony. Your "great deal" will neutralize that and likely keep you at "break even" but then you lose a large attraction of Sony: the low entry price (yeah I know, long term... but the people that I recommend Sony to are not the ones likely to buy additional equipment).

In general, switching for the sake of switching is a bad idea and this seems one of those cases. If those Sony tours come on a regular basis and you can be pretty sure of a 20% discount all the time, I'd say go for it. But if this is a "once in a lifetime" deal I wouldn't switch.

I don't really understand why you would switch systems to save a $150. What happens next if a Canon roadshow comes along with a good buy? Switch again? Then if a Nikon roadshow comes past with a good buy? Switch again?

I think that switching systems requires some better reasons than $150. If you are swapping because lenses are better, fine. If you are swapping because equipment range is better elsewhere, fine. And I thinks that this goes for Nikon, Canon Sony or whatever system one shoots with. I know I am going nowhere. I have too much money in lenses. This is despite the fact I played with a Canon 7D not long ago and was very impressed. Nikon glass is on average better in my opinion.

my 2 cents worth

cheers
Simon

What made me think about the switch was a question of how good the A55 autofocus system is....

I can only hope for a Nikon roadshow in the future :smile:

All very good advise on this issue. I'll add my 2 cents. When I was shopping for a new system I looked at Sony and the A55 really hard. But, I just couldn't help thinking that I saw a lot of blown highlights with the samples I was seeing. The colors never really pleased me as well. Now I don't know if it was because they were taken with inexperienced photogs, or if it was something else. In the end, EVERY camera system I explored made me want the D7000 even more.

TomW,
I'll say this on the mirrorless front...My Olympus E-PL1 definitely has better colors and image quality than my NEX-3.....In fact, I might arguably state that I like my Olympus colors more than I like my D5000 colors :eek:

Why jump ship, when all the nice glass from decades ago is available in Nikon F-mount?

Other than that, I'd say, choose the camera, that feels best in your hand and shooting with.

From the differnet main camera manufacturers, I am always amazed, by how natural and easy the Nikon bodies fit my hand and by how much more quality feel they provide over their competing models of other manufacturers.

This is no bashing, as I use different cameras as well, but I have had a Canon 7D in my hands yesterday and this camera feels like a crock!
Cheap feeling materials and ergonomics, you have to take lessons in finger gymnastics, to reach controls.
Worse even is the lens' feel.
For me, the second hand lens availability is priority no. 1. Nikon rules there (just topped by Leica though ;-) ).

Ed,

Hello, I will tack on this. You have an itch, scratch it. Buy the new system, shake it out and see if it works for you. Money is a consideration but it does not appear you have a huge investment at stake. If you decide to switch later, the re-sale value on the Sony equipment will be lower.

But hey, it's only disposable income, right?

Latest threads

Top Bottom