Please tell me it's crap - I need to improve

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by heiko, Nov 26, 2005.

1. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hello,

Here some pictures from a street theater performance at Rothschild Blvd. in Tel Aviv from October 14. It was just around sunset and I was lucky to carry my SB800 for support.
    The shots were taken at high ISO (1250 and 800). A little noise reduction was applied, but I felt that more noise reduction would reduce detail as well. Any suggestions on noise reduction are welcome (I use the Neat Image plugin for PS CS2).

Critique appreciated.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

To better follow the story, see www.pbase.com/merhav/pantomime.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
  2. These are very good....
    Every one of them tells a story and shows the viewer the energy involved by the actors....
    In (my opinion) it would be very hard to improve on what you got.

Well done.

3. Tell you It's crap you need to improve... :wink: do I get a prize? :rolleyes:
    Actually I like these a lot. The only area I can see that might benefit from a bit of tweaking could be the flash...are you just letting the camera do its work or were you using FV-Lock? The last shot to me looks a tiny bit over-flashed in some of the face.
    Nonetheless, fantastic work. I wish I was there to see what they were acting out

4. extremely intense. very good crap indeed

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe something to soften the flash...but these are very nice images. As it was already stated, each image tells a story.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Wonderful series of shots!

7. Best bunch of crap I've seen since I started ignoring DPReviw :wink:

The first thing I thought was that if this took place in Seattle the police would be all over themselves trying to figure if there was a problem, and by the time they did it would be 2 days later :smile:

Personally, I think this is a great series, the only thing lacking, to add to another post, is that I don't know the context, and now I REALLY want to know, so you have to tell us.

As to any "noise" issue, I don't hear any at all, wouldn't change a thing. I'm also glad you kept as much of the crowd in the shots. Every time I look I am fascinated by the people who are obviously trying to ignore this, happening right in front of them.

Oh, please, grant me the ability to capture crap like this :wink:

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Doug, your comment is much appreciated. Yes, the actors did indeed put a lot of energy into it. It was a pantomime performance which lasted some 15-20 minutes.

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks, Harrison. And special thanks for pointing out the flash use. Yes, I did set the camera on M and had the flash do it's job in TTL mode. I'll try out your suggestion, but I need to read up a little on that - and practice.
    By the way, the last one is perhaps improperly processed - the original "out of the box" version looks just fine to me in terms of exposure - well, here it is (I used NC to convert this one, the others were done in ACR):

original.

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks Dave, I'll keep up the crap work.

11. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks Frank. What would you recommend to soften the flash in such situations? It has to be something compact and lightweight.

12. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks, Ken. Very much appreciated.

P.S.: How's your shooting doing - haven't seen much lately (may have missed it)? Hope health-wise you're Ok now?

13. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I'm doing very well, progressing nicely, but my fingers are still "numb" and so are my feet (and painful too). So, as soon as I am physically able I'll try to find something to shoot (with my camera)..... I did take this, with my tiny Pentax Optio S6, at Thanksgiving Dinner of my host:

66822492_146a70cfc1_o.

14. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks, Bill. "The first thing I thought was that if this took place in Seattle the police would be all over themselves trying to figure if there was a problem, and by the time they did it would be 2 days later :smile:" - you really made me laugh :smile:.

Regarding the story, it was a pantomime performance in slow motion. I must admit I was so busy capturing the event that I really didn't think much about the story. However, the actors were playing some male and female stereotypes who entered into a struggle of power and pride, humiliating the "looser". At the end, both sexes get their share of humiliation. What was captivating in this performance was the fierce expressions and power that the actors displayed. You can see a more complete story at http://www.pbase.com/merhav/pantomime.

Regarding the crowd, I tried to keep them in the pictures as much as possible. In fact, I felt the crowd very much followed the actors' performance. What may be confusing sometimes is that when I shot an actor next to me, the crowd may have been more absorbed by another actor (not in the picture) - that's why they look in another direction.

15. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hope you will soon be up and running with your "real" camera. The dog looks at your Pentax like "Is this what I get instead of the turkey you're eating?":smile: - nice capture.

16. Great series you have captured the action and emotion very well

17. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for looking at it, Mike. Appreciate your comment.

18. Heiko,

For a crap work, it's great. Really really good capture of emotion and dynamism.

19. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Would like to be able to tell you what you want.. that it's crap, but if I did that... what would it make my stuff? These are 100% better than I am able to do.

Good job!

20. ajacobs2

ajacobs2

Nov 22, 2005
    Tampa, Florida, USA
    Alan Jacobson
    Excellent crap, reminds me of the office staff I worked with at the paper. Similar emotions, no words needed and a bit too much Mogen David.