Please use PM's if you wish to make a general comment about a sale ad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bwilder10h, Jul 11, 2007.

1. One of the neat things about this site is the general friendliness of all the members and how we all seem to be like a small knit family scattered around the globe, with one common bond.... Nikon cameras and/or a general love for photography.

Not to take away from this positive of the forum, a rule in the 'for sale section' was put in place to keep folks from making general observations and comments in someone's for sale post.

When a comment is made in a post such as "man you shouldn't sell this, it's a nice lens, etc" that pushes the ad to the first post on the first page and also moves someone else's ad to the second, third, fouth, etc, page... who is playing by the rules. Lets continue to be courteous and send PM's to the person with an item for sale if you feel inclined to comment.

Aside from that... there is no specific rule in place, but people have a tendancy to bump their sale ads every 5, 10 or 12 hours with the same effect on other users who have posted in the sale section. I suggest waiting at least 24 hours before you bump your ad as a common courtesy to the rest of us.

Thanks for playing. Carry on. :wink:

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    We do read every post....Brian does bring up a good point.:wink:

3. And Frankly Frank :wink:, if all the members acted responsibly this would not be an issue at all. You bet Brian brings up a darned good point, and not surprisingly the busiest fora seem the most prone to "bump syndrome". Now, if we could just get folks to use "multi-quote" rather than replying to every reply individually:wink::wink: we'd have Internet Forum Utopia!!!!!! :biggrin:

4. When do I get to have access to that forum?

5. Well let's see, you joined on June 24, 2007 so you should have access to the FS forum on July 23, 2007. It is nice to see that you have been posting regularly Shellie so that we could all get better acquainted with you.

6. Thanks, Gordon. One of these days I'll even have the guts to post more photos I've taken. :smile: I'm just now starting to think post processing. Thanks to you all here. I've never done it so when I post it's obviously straight from the camera. As I've said previously, I have a lot to learn and you all are intimidating (in a good way :wink:).

7. Didn't this thread start in the "For Sale" forum? So in essence, it bumped someones item from the first to the second.

Brian, I saw your comments in the For Sale thread the other day in regards to some selling a 17-55 and another person talking them out of it. You made two comments in that thread that could have been handled through a PM, that means you yourself bumped that thread twice. All of this just because it's YOUR pet peeve.

Posting, "PM sent" should also be ruled out since the member will get a message warner in his private email or when he/she logs on here. We might as well just lock the thread once the sale has been posted if we really want to be fair.

Rules Shmules, if anything, the comment that you were referring can only help the seller sell that item. It's free advertising. Others see how owners of the same item speak highly of it and then they themselves are more inclined to buy it. Same goes for someone leaving a comment about the seller's character and how they themselves have seen that particular piece of equipment and can vouch for it. It helps make the buyers feel more confident in buying from a total stranger.

I mean is this that big of a deal? It appears most items sell before reaching the third page anyway. I'm to the point that I actually check Nikon Cafe's For Sale forum before I check B&H, Adorama or Ebay, because of the high volume of attention that forum receives.

That's my two cents.

8. I think life is too short to take posting on a forum too seriously.

I think having lots of rules that everybody follows to the letter and "gee! look at him! he broke the rules!" is less friendly than an agreed upon friendliness, trust and mutual respect.

Seems to me we should try to get to know each other better. That's the best way to improve communication. Even here, not in person.

That can happen. There has to be a dozens of people here I would trust with my kids, for goodness sake. And I have never, ever used so much as a babysitter.

9. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I don't have a problem with someone making a positive comment about the item for sale, or even vouching for the integrity of the seller. As long as the Cafe allows bumping, I don't have a problem with bumping once the item reaches page 2. What really gets me mad is when some one bumps his item when it was still halfway down on page 1, or all of his friends do a bump almost simultaneously.