1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Plotter Help

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by seabee1999, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Last week, my office received a brand new 42" plotter from HP. I put the whole thing together and noticed that it did not come with a printer cable or connection of any type. I am not that computer savvy so my question is, can I use a gigabit ethernet cable to link the computer and plotter togther?

God Bless,
    David

2. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Short answer, probably yes. You really need to call HP support and get them to walk you through since you may have to configure the printer's TCP/IP settings on the printer and you'll have to set up the printer as a network printer on the computer.

These printers are mainly used on networks to share between users. If that's the way you need to do it, you'll have to connect it to the network, configure it and install software/drivers on all the computers that will use it.

Why not call the dealer and have him send someone over to set it up? That's usually included when buying printers of this size and cost.

HTH,
    Bill

3. Many thanks for your advice Bill. I did try the ethernet connection as well as USB connections but they did not work. I even tried using the printer (LPT) port on both the printer and the plotter but the 25DB on the plotter is an accessary port. I called HP with no luck. I have 2 options now, call the other units around me to see what all they did or try a 25DB to USB. If thatr doesn't work, then I'll call a techy.

God Bless,
    David

4. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help. You're probably better off calling a techie-type.

Remembering back to when I got my big LaserJet, it took a couple of hours wading through the manual to figure out how to configure the network stuff in the printer control panel and a couple of phone calls to geeky friends to get Windows to figure out it was there. It definitely isn't a Plug-n-Play operation.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you get it running.

Bill

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.