1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Plowing snow on the Durango & Silverton narrow gauge

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Jerry Benoit Day, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Jerry Benoit Day

Jerry Benoit Day

Feb 7, 2019
    _Z706450.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    _Z706464.jpg
    _8506178.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Fantastic, especially the first one. Would be great in B&W too!

3. I agree. That first one is awesome!

4. I'd love to see that equipment removing serious amounts of snow. Well done!

5. Nice, I rode the Silverton train back when it was still D&RG.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Great set.

7. Cabin

Cabin

May 4, 2005
    Awesome indeed
    Love the colors

Cabin

8. Nice set of photos.

9. Really wonderful series. I also agree with trying a B&W conversion on these, especially #1. A real wall hanger!!

Ken

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jerry Benoit Day

Jerry Benoit Day

Feb 7, 2019
    I converted an earlier frame to B&W. Not sure I like it in B&W. Guess I have shot so much B&W since I started in 1959 that B&W does not hold the attraction it once did. Guess I sniffed too much D76. Could not afford a lot of color film so had to shoot B&W.
    _Z706449.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. A
    I totally understand. Been there, done that.

But I remain inspired by the art of Ansel Adams and others. And this frame is very nice!!

Ken

12. Jerry Benoit Day

Jerry Benoit Day

Feb 7, 2019
    I attended one of Ansel's workshops in Carmel in the 70s. I think Ansel would have done color too if the films had been better. Someone asked me if I thought he would be doing digital. I absolutely think he would as a lot of his techniques and methods were to make up for the limitations of the film and papers of that era.

13. great images. I like b/w version best.

14. Super wow to the monochrome version. Consider bringing back the various tonal values in the rear half of the color version's steam to the monochrome version.

15. I love the first and the last images. IMO the highlights in the last one need reducing a bit.

16. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    There is a movie entitled Switchback with Danny Glover and Dennis Quade that has a great deal of action shot in the Colorado mountains and there are some excellent scenes involving the snowplow blades shown in your second image. Picture was shot in the Leadville, CO area. Switchback (1997) - IMDb

17. Jerry Benoit Day

Jerry Benoit Day

Feb 7, 2019
    That movie was filmed on the Denver & Rio Grande Western standard gauge line from Pueblo to Grand Junction over Tennessee Pass. The snow spreader in the movie is different than the narrow gauge one on the Durango & Silverton RR but the function is similar.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.