Pls. Compare Nikon 20mm f/2.8 to Sigma 20mm f/1.8 on a full frame camera.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by smodak, Aug 19, 2008.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  2. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Hmm...

No One?

3. I'm waiting for a new release of this very useful prime lens focal length! I can only direct you to sources for the Nikkor: Bjorn Rorslett and Photozone...BR thinks it is the best of the Nikkor 20s (20/4 and 20/3.5 are also available from the olden days); but gadzooks, photozone data indicates the thing is horrible:
    http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikk...kor-af-20mm-f28-d-review--test-report?start=1
    Entry zoom level distortion, poor res, poor edges, bad CA, vignetting even on a D200!
    I always held off on this one (and the other 20s) as it still fetches too much on the second hand market, seems to be not worth it...especially compared with recent pro zoom offerings like the 14-24 even with its usage failings (big size, big weight, no filter, big cost, protruding front element).
    One gets the feeling Nikon just neglected the prime wides in the film-digital transition, for DX and FX alike...this 20/2.8 dates from 1994 in D format, a long time these days.
    Maybe they were not too bad on 35mm film, so nobody noticed!
    Cannot comment on the Sigma, but if it is both modern and cheap, it could not be much worse...best regards.

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I wouldnt write off the Nikkor 20 f 4 AIS so quick. Try it on a FX senser. For the price I think you cant go wrong. If your waiting for Nikon to release new primes than ...OO. Well, I hope you dont mind waiting. Try www.keh.com com they have a 14 day return policy.

Gregory

5. Good idea - I'm expecting a 20/2.8 ais from them this afternoon. :redface:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.