Plum Island Shorebirds, ETC.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Sep 25, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I've been a tad under the weather ecently, but did get down to Plum Island on a cool, but glorious afternoon on Saturday.

I got out around 3:00 and headed toward the ocean front to try and get a few shorebird shots.....one of which was a new bird for me...an American Golden Plover:

original.

Then a few Semipalmated Plovers...

original.

original.

Next it was off to one of my favorite spots...an area known as Hellcat. Here I got my first (very long distance) shots of a Least Bittern in nice light. These creatures are tiny! (They aren't horribly sharp, but the marsh was sinking as I stood on it, so it was kinda tough to stay still)

original.

original.

Next, as the light grew longer, an evening cormorant fly by:

original.

Next, a few long light shots of two different Great Blue Herons:

original.

(this next one was really sweet light)

original.

And lastly..as the sun set just a bit further north at an area known as the Salt Pannes...a few last light silhouettes:

First...a snowy egret

original.

Lastly..a pair of greater yellow legs:

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2005
  2. Luv the light Jim! 2 and 3 are my favs including the last couple with the sillouettes. What I like most is you must be shooting close to the ground or laying on the ground as it appears you are on the same field of plane. For a guy who is just starting to shoot shore birds, wow , awesome job bud! :smile:

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Very nice and sharp
    Love the light

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Keith...

Geez...Thanks!

I get down low and simply freeze there until the birds quiet back down and start doing what comes natual to them.

I find that even if they leave while you are approacing, as long as you sit still enough to become part of the landscape, they will quickly return to their normal activities.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Paul

Capturing the photos is a whole lot easier...once you know your subject...it's habits and how it relates to the sun and wind....no matter where the animal lives.

Once it all comes together, I really feel like I've managed to accomplish something :)

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Stunning shots Jim with the plovers being standouts for me.

Neil

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Marvelous shots Jim.

9. Excellent Jim, I don't want you to be under the weather because I would miss all this great photography. Love every one of them. I'm partial to the Plover shots but the last GBH images are super.

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Neal...

Plovers, Sanderling's and other little shorebirds are quickly becoming a favorite subject.

Not only are they beautiful...but they have such great personalities :)

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Harry...

Thanks.....

It's probably a good thing that I don't live down the street from Vierra like you do. My company would most likely have fired me long ago for absenteeism!

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Gordon...

The antibiiotics and other stuff they have me on are working, but also causing their own inherent problems.

I actually stayed home Sunday...but it probably won't happen again :)