1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Plum Street Temple, Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gnagel, Aug 9, 2018.

1. It's been a while since I have posted. I've been on a long road trip from Chicago to Newfoundland and back. Just before leaving for that trip, I spent a few days in Cincinnati with my travel baseball team. During that time, I captured a number of photographs in some downtown locations around Cincinnati.

I visited the Plum Street (Isaac Wise) Temple. I have photographed many churches over the years, but this is only the second synagogue that I have visited. It was quite stunning.

p3010992707-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3010992614-5.jpg

p3010992449-5.jpg

p3010992448-5.jpg

p3010992445-5.jpg

p3010992443-5.jpg

p3010992446-5.jpg

All photographs were captured with the D850 and most with the Nikon 14-24 2.8. All required blending multiple exposures to control the light from the chandeliers and the light passing through the stained glass windows.

I still have quite a few photographs from Cincinnati to process...and then it's on to the enormous task of tackling all the images that I captured during my trip through Nova Scotia and Newfoundland!

Thanks again for looking...
    Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Welcome back! Glad you had a grand trip! I look forward to the images from another epic trip!

While the above images are excellent compositionally, I feel they have lost a bit of saturation (or vibrance or ???) via the HDR processing.

3. Worth the wait Glenn.

4. Thanks Karen...yes, it was an epic journey. I probably won’t be done working on the images for at least a couple of months.

I don’t think the lack of saturation is a result of the HDR approach itself—as nearly every interior photograph that I have ever taken uses that same technique.

I believe that this particular interior uses understated colors...the photos aren’t nearly as vibrant as the ones I just captured of the Basilica on the campus of the University of Notre Dame.

I could always add more saturation to these images if need be. Thanks for the input.

Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks Nick...I’m guessing I’ll be sharing a lot of pictures in the upcoming weeks and months!

Glenn

6. As are your photos of it. I keep coming back to #4 and #5.

7. Thanks Mike...I'm making a concerted effort to make more compositions like #5 as I think it creates the perception of more depth. #4 is a fisheye, of course, and I try to make sure that I use that lens whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Glenn

8. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I was just wondering where you had gone off to, and look what you brought back! These are exquisite and I cannot wait to see the other Cincinnati photos!

9. It works great, but you'll rarely be so fortunate as to have a piano or any other object in the scene that so successfully anchors the image.

10. Glad to see you back. Wow - what wonderful eye candy! And I can take the calories!

11. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Well, this morning the colors seems just a bit more colorful! LOL! Maybe my eyes were just too tired last night! Regardless, the comps are excellent and really show the size and details of this temple.

12. Thanks Lyndee...I should be posting some more Cincinnati photos later today.
    Very true...although when I photographed the Great Hall a while back, I asked if they could move the piano out onto the stage--and they complied!
    Thanks Ted...much appreciated.
    Thanks Karen...this temple was one of those interiors that's fairly dark and not super colorful. It was beautiful, but in its own way. I photographed about 15 places of worship over the past month--from major basilicas to a sod church...and I'm looking forward to getting the chance to process all of those photos.

Glenn

13. spoonbill

spoonbill

Jan 25, 2013
    Indiana
    Glenn.........very good shooting of a very difficult location. Sure sharpens our skills on getting exposures right on. You did good. Keep on with that fish-eye also. I love'em too.

14. Thank you...yes, nearly every image requires multiple exposures in order to control the range of light.

Glenn

15. Excellent set Glenn. #2 and #5 are my favs.

16. Thank you, Binnur

Glenn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.