1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Plymouth Long Beach Through 8-1-08

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Sep 14, 2008.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    While I didn't get as much shooting in as I would have liked due to my wife's health issues, I was blessed with some nice opportunities this year at Plymouth Long Beach in MA.

Rather than posting a whole bunch of images, I'm posting a link to a gallerry where I uploaded all of them and you can watch them as a slide show if you'd like.

Included are nortbound shorebird migrants, breeding common, least and arctid terns, piping plovers and some other mixed birds as well.

Birds were tough to finds there this year...we had only (approximate numbers) 16 pairs of piping plovers, 600 pairs of least terns, 2200 pairs of common terns, 3 pairs of arctic terns, 66 pairs of laughing gulls and one pair of black skimmers, which unfortunately, I got there one day too late to see. (I'm kidding about them being tough to find)

Next weekend with a bit of luck, I'll begin photographing the southbound migrants and I'll be concentrating on documenting the red knots.....a species in population collapse according to some and soon to potentially dissapear from existence.

The gallery is at:
    http://www.pbase.com/soonipi1957/2008_plymouth_long_beach_images&page=all

2. lots of great shots in there Jim, looks like you have have a good summer., now, it looks like a good time for a workshop in your area for 09??

3. Always beautiful images, glad to see you gave us a look at your wonderful images. :smile:

4. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Great shots Jim. I'm glad that the D300 is finally working out for you.

5. Incredible series Jim!

You have done very well getting out as much detail as this at relatively high ISO for the D300.

I also think you have really gotten used to the capabilities of your new 500, using the low DOF at wider apertures to the max, while retaining critical detail.

And the composition, color and processing is just wonderful!

As good as it gets!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.