PNW Eagles (Dec 2019)

A few buddies and I venture to the Skagit valley each year and this year, the Chum run was strong and still a fair number of fish in the river, swimming, as well as those spawned out and into the food chain.
We dodged the rains as is normal in the PNW this time of year, but got some nice images.
We parked at the Hatchery on the Nooksack and hiked out to the river to find as stated, a lot of live fish in the river, the hatchery had harvested eggs and sperm from other and had returned those fish to the river.
So there was a lot of food, and in turn, a fair number of birds.

Chest waders or similar was required to wade across some of the water as with the rains, the river was high and knee boots were just a tad, too short as some of us found. I always wear my neoprene chest waders to keep dry and warm.

wings-2-full-salmon-eggs (1 of 1).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

thanks Allan.. I found this year in the images, a lot of the spawned out fish the birds were feeding on, as in this image, still has their skein and eggs, which I thought was odd. Usually the fish die after laying their eggs, but seems not all made it to that point.

due to the amount of food, we saw a lot of birds this year.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom