PNW Osprey are back!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JohnK, Apr 11, 2007.

1. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    It's been a very long winter, I got my D80 shortly after they headed south for the winter last year, I've been chomping at the bit for them to come back north! Finally this week my (mine because I've never seen anyone else shooting them) Osprey are back!

These are all hand held with the D80 + 70-300 VR and pretty heavily cropped, the light pole their nest is on is a very tall one.

DSC_2141_cropped_sm.

DSC_2126_cropped_sm.

DSC_2205_cropped_sm.

DSC_2226_cropped_sm.

A few more shots are at http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l185/handcannons/Birds/Osprey 2007/ as I get more (and better, I hope) shots I'll add them there as well.

Now all I need is more practice, better light, a longer lens, time off to spend shooting them.....:biggrin:

2. Great captures John

3. This is good to see. I have heard a number of reports and will be checking my favorite spots this weekend. What part of the PNW?

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice catches John, especially #3. Let's see some more. :smile:

5. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Nice captures John,get out there and have some fun.

6. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Thanks guys. Bill, these are in Bellevue off 112th NE, at Hidden Valley park.

Afternoons are the best time for good light since they are on the east side of the park and the best areas seem to be on the north side, leaving afternoon sun coming from the right direction. Mornings are good if you want silhouettes. :)

Here are a couple more for you Frank:

DSC_2189_cropped_sm.

DSC_2156_cropped_sm.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  7. Thanks, John. I shoot a number of sites a bit further North. Last season we had 23 active nest sites in the Everett area, quite amazing how many of these are around. Let me know if you would like to meet up there one day, I work in Redmond.

8. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Sounds good Bill. I drive through Redmond on my way to work in Bellevue, I noticed at least one was in the nest near the end of 520 at the park, that might work for a lunchtime shoot for you.

9. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Today wasn't a bad day for some captures. This is a 100% crop, taken hand held with the 70-300 VR.

DSC_2349_cropped.

Hopefully this weekend I'll find some a bit closer.

10. Niec shots John. I had no idea Hidden Valley Park had Osprey nests. Right around the trees surrounding the ballfields?

I'll be downtown some time this week dropping off my car and might pop down there. Give me an excuse to drag out the 200-400 :smile:

Thanks for sharing these

11. Nice series John.

Louie

12. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Thanks guys.

The only nest I've seen there is on top of one of the light poles by the south field, near 112th. You get a pretty good view of the nest coming north on 112th.

If you drop by around noonish you'll probably see me there. :smile:

There's another nest near the end of 520 at Marymoor park Peter, you might be able to get some good shots there too...not today with the weather we're having, but someday. :biggrin:

13. Shoot, if I didn't have a stinkin meeting today, I'd meet you there John. Ping me when you're thinking of heading there midday again.