Pocket Wizard (?)

Hey Cafe,

I have been looking to purchase the Pocket Wizard. I have a Nikon D70s, and wanted to know if anyone has one, or has used one. Does anyone know how it works. My understanding is that I place the Wizard into my hot shoe and begin shooting. I am not sure if I need to have my flash open on my camera in order for the trigger to set off my strobes. My assumption is that I don't need my flash to be open. Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks-
Little Cub

You don't need your flash open. You do, however, need two units: 1 for your hotshoe (transmitter), the other for your flash (receiver). The cool thing about Pocket Wizards is that each unit can act as either the transmitter or receiver. They work via radio waves and, therefore, do not need to be within line of sight with each other. You also have up to a 1600' range so you can mount your flash/PW a good distance away and still fire it remotely. You can also fire your camera remotely, too. I have a friend that mounted his D200 and PW up in a tree at a big cat rescue type of place. He then hung a steak from the tree so that he could get pics of a tiger jumping. He stood outside the fence and waited for them to let the cats out.... waited.... waited.... then discovered that tigers can climb trees. Needless to say, he didn't get the shot he wanted. But, he was able to remotely fire the camera.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Xmenporsche, that does help me. That is very funny about your friend with the steak and tiger. I hope he at least got a good shot. Maybe a great macro of the tiger's mouth :eek: lol! I did wonder about the Pocket Wizard Plus II because it is a "transceiver," is it really necessary to have two?

Mike ive seen it done before. theres an adapter you can buy. just not sure which one.

I guess I shouldn't have been so quick to answer, I'm sure it could be done with maybe a AS-10 adaptor and some other creative wiring, but I don't know of any direct off the shelf solutions.

You don't need your flash open. You do, however, need two units: 1 for your hotshoe (transmitter), the other for your flash (receiver). The cool thing about Pocket Wizards is that each unit can act as either the transmitter or receiver.

Only the newer Pocketwizard Plus are Transmitter/Recievers. Older PW's are not.

Mike ive seen it done before. theres an adapter you can buy. just not sure which one.

Maybe what you're looking for is the hotshoe adapter? Look on the strobist website or go to the strobist threads on flickr, that's where I'm really starting to learn all about this stuff, they are very knowledgable over there.

could hold back anymore

463822952_73239ea853_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

could hold back anymore

463822952_73239ea853_b.png

Now that's what I "need" too , except I'll only be needing 2 flashes :wink: Lucky you !!

O.k. Littlewing6283, I am officially jealous! LOL That is a sweet setup you have there. I think I have just been convinced to get the PW, although I think it may be a stretch to ge the D2H!

littlecub,

all i have to say is wow. i love these things. so reliable. I took them on a test run. CLS was good and the ebay triggers were decent. but for these i didnt find myself wondering, are these goign to fire ? should I angle the sensor differently so it will pick up the flash. i simply set up the light how i want it and go.

464885741_31b84e12c8_b.png

I did wonder about the Pocket Wizard Plus II because it is a "transceiver," is it really necessary to have two?

Sure .. one to fire, one to receive. Your Nikon flash can only natively receive infra-red signals ... Pocket Wizards work via radio signal (thus the massive range and no need for line of sight). You need one PW for your camera and one for each flash you want to fire.

Latest threads

Top Bottom