PocketWizard technical question

Ok so I have a set of pocketwizard plus IIs, theoretically how many SB800s can I hook up to one PW? I know that both Plug 1 and Plug 2 can be used and that I can use an audio miniphone splitter type device to split the signal. Does that mean that I can set of 4 SB800s with one PW? Has anyone tried more than 2? Will it blow up in my face?:eek:

Thanks guys.

Kavawava,
I have done the same process as Shortman. I also use another set of strobes with slave syncs that all trigger when my main is fired. I found that this can be a great way to save money (only needing 2 PWs) and you can also stage your lighting to virtually any positions and get great effects! As far as connecting multiple strobes with just one PW, from my experiences, I have not found a way. I don't think anything will blow up in your face, that's what the circuit breakers are for LOL. Seriously though, good luck and please let us know if you are successful in this endeavor. I may have to try it as well and let you guys know if it works. Hope this helps!

Little Cub

Don't know about theory, but I've been able to fire 2 Alien Bees with one wizard. I've also fired 4 white lightnings with one wizard as well.

I don't think that I would try and mix different types of lights or anything like that however.

Gary

Ok so I have a set of pocketwizard plus IIs, theoretically how many SB800s can I hook up to one PW? I know that both Plug 1 and Plug 2 can be used and that I can use an audio miniphone splitter type device to split the signal. Does that mean that I can set of 4 SB800s with one PW? Has anyone tried more than 2? Will it blow up in my face?:eek:

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys, I knew I could rely on the Cafe for some answers. I'll see how things go when I get my hands on some miniphone splitters.

for anyone thats wondering, I just tested it out today and an audio splitter and any male to female or male to male miniphone extension cord with the adapter, can fire off any strobe connected to one pocketwizard. Or in other words i'm pretty sure I can fire at least 4 SB800s off of one PW, most likely more.

P

photoshooter

The electronics of the pocket wizard, may allow multiple strobes to be attached to one unit. I personally don't think it's a great idea.

The PW units are expensive, and firing multiple strobes off of one unit, using both sync plugs, will almost certainly, fry the unit prematurely in my opinion.

I do not think, the units are designed to use both sync plugs at the same time.
Did you call, the PW tech support? and ask the question?

Sometimes, attempting to get something, for nothing can bite you.

Taken from the PWII manual note 3.

If there is any cable connected to the Flash port on a Plus II, then the Camera/Flash port is switched to input mode only. If you connect 1 flash to each port of the Plus II, then only the flash connected to the Flash port will trigger. Attempting to connect 2 flashes to the Flash port can be dangerous. Different flashes can have very different sync voltages. Connecting them together could cause damage to the flashes, and they may not trigger. 2 identical flashes with know identical sync voltages may work when connected together, but operation is not guaranteed to be risk free.

Take care.

P

photoshooter

Thankyou for confirming my suspicions. It is far too easy too missuse your equipment, trying to save money. In the end you will spend considerably more.

Consider the fact that most sports arenas have a single plug where you plug in your pocketwizard that fires off what could be as many as 8 strobes.

I don't think that using splitters and a zip line to fire identical units is all that much of a risk. I consistantly use 1 receiver to fire 2 alien bees when I'm shooting Ice hockey ..

Gary

Thankyou for confirming my suspicions. It is far too easy too missuse your equipment, trying to save money. In the end you will spend considerably more.

P

photoshooter

In most sports arenas, the pw on the camera has no direct connection to anything. They just send the signal.
The strobes in most arenas are hotwired, or they more than likely each are connected to seperate transmitters, and or receivers.

I thought the poster was speaking about using both output terminals on the transmitter to fire multiple strobes.

My feelings are the same, if you use both sync outputs on the transmitter, the pw will eventually misfire or just die.

It is up to the shooter, to accept the responcibility for equipment failure.

Contact PW tech support and ask them the question, they have a 800 number.

Latest threads

Top Bottom