Pocketwizzard vs Radiopopper

A

Afrikaner

I love the nikon cls system and use it lots in ttl as well as manual. I would like to use it outdoor and in hidden situations on location more often and then the CLS becomes dodgy because of the sensor not always being able to pick up even if the Master flash is aimed directly at the slave.

I see these two systems PW and RP are available and priced very similar,
From what I understand is that the PW has more features and does not require a flash on camera to work. and can trigger other devices as well, The RP uses the IR light and transmits those signals and does require velcro for attaching and a flash or commander on camera to use.

From what I understand the nikon system from PW with the tt1 and tt5 as from this year 2011 is pretty good and does have one or 2 small problems, but are being solved via firmware upgrades as this system is upgradeable. I like this system because of the simple hot shoe connection method and that I do not need a flash on the camera as wel as the fact that a camera can also be triggered wireless.

I would like to maintain ttl and would like to know if someone has used the new PW tt1 and tt5 with the latest firmware and what are you findings with the system. If results are not positive I will settle for the RP as there system is reliable but lacks the extra features.

Thanks in advance

I have and use both systems. I too prefer the PW hot shoe mounting and the fact that it integrates well with earlier PW products. It also works very well with studio strobes, especially the PCB Einstein lights through the new MC2 receiver. You can use the AC3 Zone Controller to give you pretty much the same functionality as a Master flash or SU800. Having said this, I have experienced some inconsistent exposures, that I suspect represent two separate issues. Others have noted similar problems, while some report no issues.

The RP system is a little 'clunkier' but has been very reliable for me - especially with the SU800 as Master. It also works with studio strobes via the JRx receivers, but changing power settings is more fiddly with the RP system.

Overall, I am persevering with the PW system. I am confident that they will get the bugs worked out (we still have fewer issues than the Canon folk) and the flexibility offered by its integration with PW Plus II receivers (of which I have 6) is hard to ignore.

Question for those with the AC3 -- do the rotary knobs for the power settings have detents at the 1/3 stop positions, or only at the full stop positions?

I've been interested in a radio system that permits manual power adjustment on my Nikon flashes. TTL is not a high priority. Thus the Radiopopper JrX's + RPCube's are a possible solution, However, it would seem the power level setting is not very precise.

does CLS work with PW or RP's? or is it all manual controls? Can you control the output from the transmitter?

does CLS work with PW or RP's? ...

On the PocketWizard MiniTT1/FlexTT5 system, yes. On older PocketWizards, no.

On the Radiopopper PX system, yes. On the Radiopopper JrX system, no.

... or is it all manual controls? ...

Inverse of the above. Older Pocketwizards and Radiopper JrX, TTL is not available.

... Can you control the output from the transmitter?

Older Pocketwizards -- no.

Radiopopper JrX -- yes, but you must add the RPCube's for Nikon flashes.

New Pocketwizard MiniTT1/FlexTT5 system and Radiopper PX system, yes.

A

Afrikaner

Thanks to all for the input. If you are confident that the bugs will be sorted I will go with the PW as I have found that RP are not shipped or sold to South Africa and the PW are freely avaylable here, plus I like the way it is setup and the use of AC3.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom