Pocono Cup

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by bvonarx, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bruheim

bruheim

Jul 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Excellent work... what lens/mode/range of speeds/range of f-stops?

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Excellent shots!
    I see what you mean about light going from good-bad-sweet. That last shot is really nice. Love the color and lighting.

3. Hey, Brooks, nice shooting! Where in the Poconos did the tourney take place. My son lives just about six miles south of the Pocono Raceway in Effort, PA.

4. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Brooks , great shots 1 &3 are my favorites

5. Thanks all, a large part of my improvement is definatly attributable to paying attention to what is shown and discussed on this board

Lens-80-200 f/2.8
    Speeds- 2500-500 (i think)
    Mode-III, white balance auto -1
    ASA-200-800
    f/4

I was waiting 3/4 of the last game for a slow moving cloud to pass and give me that light, worth the wait for sure

I remember the signs on rte 33 for Effort on the way to Brodeheadsville and Snydersville, nice country

High praise indeed

6. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Nice work Brooks. You really get in there for some nice close work.

Probably my monitor here at work, but the whites seem as if they might be blown a bit. Couple that with the +.33 EV bias you used and you might consider dropping back to 0EV. But take that with a grain of salt....my monitor here is pretty crummy.

Some very good shots in that mix....#3 I Think is the best.

7. Thanks for pointing that out. I now notice that the images as displayed on the forum look a little flat as compared to viewing them in NX and ACD See. Maybe some calibration issues on my side need to be explored.

8. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    Nice work, Brooks. I like the third one the best.

My son is in the Boys Pocono Cup this weekend. His Saturday games are 8:00 AM, 12:00 PM and 4:00 PM, so I will also probably be getting many different kinds of light.

I'll be staying over Saturday night at the Great Wolf Lodge - my son should have a good time with his teammates in the waterpark.

Any tips on parking, etc.(my son's games are near the prison)? Based on the fact that just about every hotel in the area was booked, this must be a massive tournament.

DAB

9. Get to the Snydersville fields early for parking and don't expect anything but Kwik E Mart type food so you may want to pack a picnic. The tournament is well managed but the sites are scattered, good luck.

10. Good looking shots. You got some good action shots and did a real nice job of reducing the distracting backgrounds (something I struggle with big time). I'm curious how active your feet were to get some of these shots. I have a tendency to get lazy when shooting soccer/lacrosse and dont do enough moving around and seem to stay at about midfield.

11. I find that most of my keepers come when I have positioned myself square to the top of the 18 or at the base of the 18 on the deadball line. Sometims you have to move to the spot with the best background where ever that may be. I'd be interested to hear from Mike and Topher and the other soccer shooters as to where thier best success comes from.

12. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    You should try Snydersville Diner for breakfast. They have great apple crumb pie too. I live right in the middle of Effort.