Point and Shoot for the Office

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helmet155, Nov 2, 2005.

1. I just told my boss I want to buy a new work camera...I was thinking Coolpix S4 for the cool swivel feature...

Any input? I've only used Olympus P&S before and they are pretty nice...

Maybe I should hold off and start to justify a D200 for an office camera...haha that would actually probably work...

Thx

Brett

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2005
  2. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    The only digital point and shoots that I've owned were a Vivitar (piece of crap, but cheap -- that is until you found out that two AA batteries gave you about 30 shots. I switched to rechargeables, but they only got about 25) and a Nikon Coolpix 4200. I love the Coolpix. It has a decent optical zoom and takes great snapshots, so I would assume the newer Coolpix models will be even better.

3. With prices dropping I wanted a P&S for those times that I did not want to drag the D1x around. I ended up getting a Sony Cybershot DSC-T7. The main reason, in my case, is that it is so tiny. You won't even know you have it in your pocket. It does the job I want it to do very well.

Here are a few galeries just shot with the T7 (yes, decidedly P&S material :biggrin: :biggrin: ):

http://www.pbase.com/ripps22/world_press_photo
    http://www.pbase.com/ripps22/epipautomne
    http://www.pbase.com/ripps22/bday_restaurant

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I had an Oly, a Brio D-100 actually. Although it was mgeapixel deficient, it did take a good photo and was quite a bit more responsive than most P&S digicams. I also have a Coolpix 950. It's a wonderful camera that I continue to use for it's special features. The S4 looks like the latest descendant of the 950's line.

I have also heard great things about the Sony T7.

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Brett, I guess I'd ask a couple of questions first. What type of pictures will be taken with it and how will they be used. Will lots of people in the office be using it?

There are so many P&S cameras out there right now, with lots of really good ones available, that you need to try to narrow down your requirements a bit. For example, is a 3X optical zoom adequate or do you need more capability there (available up to 12X). How large will you need to print shots taken with this camera? (There's a range of good 3 to 8 MP cameras on the market currently).

6. All depends on WHO is going to use the camera. There was an office dufus at my office who threw out the rechargeable batteries, lost the USB cord and damaged the SD card!!!?? Go figure! I wouldn't recommend a swivel to any heavy-handers. I have the Canon SD300 and just love it. Very compact, uses SD cards, slim, lightweight and even has 60fps video!!! Has various options, like EV adjustments, etc. Great quality photos, and video. Highly recommended.

7. I use a Sony P200, Fuji F10 and an Oly C60. I like the F10 the best, though the P200 probably makes the better images. All fairly small cameras.

But I have to say I have seen some amazing results from the medium sized Canons. My wife was in Seoul about a year ago, and I sent her with a Canon SD400 (or something like that) and a large CF card. 90% of the images she came back with were great! And she is probably the least likely to care about or bother to understand anything electronic that has ever lived. The only thing she knew to do was turn it on and press the shutter.

An example from the Canon:

seoul-hanbok-shop.

Here is an example from the Sony P200. Not all of them look this good, but when you nail it, it is amazing.

ben-climbing.

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Check out the Kodak Z730, very nice 5MP camera with a 2.2 LCD, SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON 4X optical zoom lens.
    Great camera for $249.00
    Z730_270x190.
    Check it out here www.kodak.com/go/z730

9. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Nikon S1

I use the Nikon S1 because of its size it can fit in a shirt pocket and makes excellent small pictures.

10. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I am thrilled with my families Fuji E550 the colors and low noise is spectacular. I found the Canon S80 was to noisy in most interior shots and got rid of that camera to get the Fuji. Been happy ever-since.

Good luck with your purchase

11. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Canon also has some good P&S, I have the PowerShot S-30.

12. I'm getting ready to put a Panasonic FZ3 up for sale soon. 12x optically zoom, leica lens, built in image stabilization. 3MP. Extra battery and carrying case. Lemme know if interested. My wife took over my D100.

13. Canon S400

I've been using the Canon S400 for a few years now and love it. Very compact, stylish, 4mp, compactflash memory and is capable of capturing a great image.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The S400 Digital Elph is $199.95 at Adorama and I'm sure it can be found cheaper elsewhere. I believe Canon's newer models in the Digital Elph line have 5+ mp and use SD cards.

Glenn