1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Polar Bears on Devon Island, Canada

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by bobhoge, Sep 10, 2008.

1. One of the reasons for this trip was a chance to see Polar Bears in their natural habitat. We hoped to see them out on the sea ice, hunting seals, but there was not much sea ice when we got there. So, the Polar Bears we saw were all on land and we were photographing from the ship. All these are heavily cropped, nearly actual pixels.:mad: 

We did see a total of 22 Polar Bears during the trip:cool: , several mothers with cubs.
    370121834_ZNZL4-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

370122058_TuoxK-XL.jpg

Out for a swim. Humans would not last 5 minutes unprotected in the near freezing water, Polar Bears can swim more than 25 miles without a problem.
    370124305_TbAyy-XL.jpg

370124373_kqtGc-XL.jpg

Another mother and cubs:
    370125687_sZVMR-XL.jpg

And another:
    370126028_ECf36-XL.jpg

370126212_VkCJ3-XL.jpg

We saw tracks while hiking several different times, looks like a wolf also:
    370125420_4FKcj-XL.jpg

Bob & Nan

2. That's cool.. too bad they were that far away.

3. still nice shots, bob & nan
    i'm glad you got to see the polar bears... even though they weren't as close as you would have liked

thanks for sharing these with us

4. How exciting to see polar bears in the wild!!!!! I like their stance in #6, with the mother over the two cubs. I like the tracks, too.

Kristin

(ps: I can cry when I think about their endangered status and the havoc we wreck on the animal kingdom.)

5. Incredible! To see wild bears like that is just awsome! No matter what, it's good you got the photos! WOW!

6. ItzAlbert

ItzAlbert

Sep 13, 2008
    Bay Area
    nice pics looking at these polar bear makes me think of coke a cola commericals

7. I think that would be as close as I would want to get. Unless there was some place you could seek shelter from them.

8. Auminer

Auminer Guest

Cool shots

Nice shots Bob! Looks like that D300 with the 300 lens is a winning combo, is that a VR model?

Thanks for sharing,

9. Hi Ray,

You are correct. We were on the ship for all these shots. When we were ashore, staff from the ship were always close to us and heavily armed. They kept us together and well protected.

Bob & Nan

10. Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Cafe!

That lens was the new 70-300 AFS VR. Those are 1200x800 pixel crops so what you see is nearly actual pixels. A fine lens.

Bob & Nan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.