Polariser Brand Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Riki, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Can someone please recommend the better Polariser between a B+W Slim and the Nikon Slim.
    I was using a Hoya until now, but always have problems unscrewing it off the lens. Is this because the Hoya frame is plastic and not metal ?
    Are there any other brands to consider ?
    Will aprreciate all advice and thanks.

2. KJD2121

KJD2121 Guest

The B+W is brass and you won't have any problem unscrewing. Very solid feel compared to the cheapies. I don't know about the Nikon as all my filters are B+W. I think the cheaper filters are aluminum and tend to bind easily.

3. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks for the tip. Will wait for some Nikon users to comment too. I beleive one of these brands has some problem with fixing a lens cap or something.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I have the Nikon CPL-II, or whatever it's called. It's a nice filter. I had used Hoya filters in the past but I found that the Hoya CPL affected the color, which the Nikon doesn't seem to. I also had the problem with getting the Hoya filter screwed on/off sometimes, but haven't noticed any problems with the Nikon filter.

One thing I really like about the Nikon CPL is that even though it's a "slim" polarizer it still has just enough of a front lip to allow you to use a regular lens cap. I absolutely hate slim filters that require their own special slip-on lens cap. In my experience they should actually be called slip-off caps because that's what they always do.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks Jeff and Paul for your comments. Yeah, I would like to put on a lens cap when not in use, certainly. I believe you cannot do that in a B+W, CPL

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I should point out I don't know for certain that's the case with the B+W slim filters as I've never used one. I just know that it's the case with many/most slim filters other than the Nikon.

8. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I second the Nikon Circular Polarizer option as well. I bought this model
    Nikon NICP67 67mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter II

I was able to put my pinch type lens cap on it without a problem.

I do have a Hoya ND which "sometimes" does not seem to thread as well. I am not sure if this is a characteristic of all Hoyas.

I also have a B&W stepup ring which threads perfectly fine and Nikon Close Up lens which thread perfectly as well (on a different lens of course).

The Nikon Circular Polarizer threads nicely and while I still have enough room to adjust the circular polarizer while my lens hood is on, it seems like it is a bit more difficult to quickly see the effect as my hands block most of the field of view. :)

Based on this, I would probably believe Hoya simply does not thread as well as the other vendors. That's just my initial impression though.

9. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    There is a consensus amongst most vendors and I have asked around a bit to verify this , but they all claim Hoya makes all the filters for Nikon. i dont know how far this is true, or even if it is true, I am sure they must be quality controlling the stuff and must be having their own specs.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  11. thomas

thomas Guest

filter brands

I use B+W and Nikon and canĀ“t tell the difference. I had a Hoya from the expensive range. Optically very good, but difficault to clean the coated surface.

12. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thank you Gale and Thomas for your comments and advice.

13. If that's true they are using the best glass for the Nikon filters. The top of the line Hoya CP imparts more of a color cast than the Nikon CP and the Hoya coating is much harder to clean. I have also read Hoya makes Nikon's filters but have to wonder if it's just internet rumor.

Phil

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. For several years I've bought all my filters from The Filter Connection:

http://www.2filter.com/

Very nice people, prices are good, and there's lots of information on their website.

Best wishes,

David