Polarization on Super-Wide angle?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Sunesha, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I am just wondering is there anyway you can have same polarization applied on wide angle on the photos?

I read that it seems impossible due to the lighting.

I mostly after the effect it gives on the sky, but I dont use pol. filters at the moment at all on my wide nikkor 12-24. Especially how orange and red looks after usage off polarization which I find get a bit washed on midday sun.

I tried to fake the effect with software but it doesnt give the same effect at all. Are there any other alternatives to get that extra saturation and contrast? I find it can really save a photo in to sunny midday photo..

2. I have heard you need to use the thin filters on the wide angle lenses. I have not tried this myself since I don't have a wide angle yet (eyeing the 10-20 Sigma). B+W, Hoya and I think a few others make a thin ring polarizer for wide angles or you could go the cokin route.

3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I use a Sigma 10-20mm and I don't use the polarizer on shots that have big skies. I do use it for water shots and scenes with a lot of foliage.

The filter I use is a Hoya S-HMC which is a thin profile to prevent vignetting. The thin profile does nothing for the uneven polarization at wide perspective focal lengths, this is simply an aspect of polarization that cannot be overcome.

Some captures don't look bad with the uneven polarization. It depends upon the scene and the angle of the sunlight.

4. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I gotta grab thin/slim pol. filter then. I really missed a pol. filter yesterday was shooting some trees with yellow and orange leaves.

Otherwise it doesnt hurt to have a extra pol. filter.

5. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Nikon's polarizers are excellent. They have very thin rims so can be used safely on wideangle lenses, yet they have front threads (unlike other "slim" filters) so you can put the front cap on.

You need to take care when polarizing the sky with a very wide lens. The sky is polarized most deeply at 90 degrees from the sun. When the sun is low on the horizon, this forms a dark blue band which arcs high into the sky. The result is very uneven polarization which can look very unnatural. Sometimes turning the filter so the sky is only partially polarized can help. The situation is easier when the sun is very high in the sky. The "equatorial" band of maximum polarization runs close to the horizon, so the effect looks more even across the frame, and more natural.

An alternative is using a light warming filter, such as the Nikon A2, or B&W KR1.5. The light amber color is the compliment of blue, so will deepen the blue color of the sky and enhance the color of rocks and foliage. It also helps to cut down haze and reflections since they are usually sky-blue. The effect is always even across the frame, unlike a polarizer, although the effect is less dramatic.

6. I have tried, and I gave up :( if you're planning to shoot skies with CPL on wide angle, you might want to try it first before you buy.. I almost never used mine because the result is ...unnatural.

FYI, you can use not-so-thin CPL on Tokina 12-24 without vignetting.

7. Ditto. If you orient wide landscape shots as portraits, the portion of the field of view that covers the ground can hide the spot where the CP is having trouble rendering a natural look. You can turn the polarizer to maximize the effect on the part of the sky that is in the composition.

Sean

8. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Here in Chicago, I can use a polarizer to good effect on my 12-24 and 17-35 in the Summer months during the midday hours because the Sun is high enough in the sky to avoid the light to dark sky problem.

Midday light is a problem for most other types of shots, but in this situation it's the only useable light.

9. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Thanks as I never used filters doing my filmdays as teen in the 80s. Interestning. The blue channel is the most hard for me during some days it ends up with trying to handle the blue channel often underexpose a little. But at the cost off lesser shadow detail that I manage to capture while using pol. filter.

I think I will run down to photo shop during lunch and go out shoot some hard exposures with a warming filter see how the exposure turn out.

I tried to do some digital pol filter but with bad results.

As I often never look for realistic exposures but ones that give nice renderings. Especially in landscape I rarely manage to get my view rendered only my "golden hours" photos shine. But just having that light gets a bit boring.