1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

polarizer/ND effect in NX2?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by MikeG76, Jul 19, 2008.

1. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Does anyone know of a method to apply a polarizer or ND filter effect in NX2? I'm trying to salvage some photos I took on vacation in Ireland about a year ago. I didn't know my gear well back then and auto-ed a lot of stuff. *cringe*

2. Mike,

If you're referring to a graduated ND filter, the Linear Gradient Tool is perfect for that effect.

To achieve a polarizer effect on a sky, place a Color Control Point on the blue part of the sky. As points of departure, reduce the brightness to about -20. Increase the saturation to about +10 and the contrast to about +10.

It sounds like you would benefit from Jason Odell's ebook about using Capture NX2. He provides examples of both situations as well as many others, providing images to which you can apply the steps he recommends.

3. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Thank you so much! I just bought his ebook and am downloading it now.

4. Mike, be aware that I'm pretty sure that the method Tom describes is not in Jason's eBook. That's why I'm rather unsubtlely trying to convince Tom to write a tutorial.

5. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    NIK Color Efex v3.0 for NX2 has a polarizing filter -and a bunch of other nice filtering tools. Free demo download.

6. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try the demo of Color Efex, however I can't see myself buying it since it is pretty pricey for someone like me. I'm strictly an amateur enthusiast and the cost is hard to swing right now. So, I'll be experimenting with the methods described also. Thanks again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.