Polarizer suggestions

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Butchdog, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    After much research I've decided it's time to buy a polarizer filter. What I've learned over the years is to spend the money on quality products now and be done. There are numerous choices from a variety of companies. I have a Sigma 100-300 f4, Nikon 18-70, 35-70, 105VR. I'm planning on adding something on the wide end, maybe 12-24. And, as you know, this is a bit of an evolutionary process as our photographic skills and needs change.
    I'm wondering what you folks use/recommend.
    I appreciate any suggestions you might share.

2. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

An excellently thought out question and one I wish I would have thought of earlier than I did. I went through a Tiffen, two Hoyas, and finally when I get my B+W, I knew I was home to stay. :) I would recommend buying the B+W MRC (multi-resistant coating) 77mm and then buying step-down rings so that you can use it on lenses that have smaller filter sizes. On the brand issue, I recommend B+W because it gave me no color cast like the others and the brass ring and filter threads make it an easy filter to put on and take off.

3. I have the B+W polarizer as well and it is well built. The suggestion of getting one in 77mm size is also a good move as it is much better to step down than it is have to buy another for the larger size lenses.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    What ever brand you get, get the largest size you think you will ever need and use step rings for the smaller lenses. The $$$ of the C-pols is very high. Personally, I don't use one often enough to justify the extra price of the MC versions, I've done well for years with uncoated pols. I've used Nikon, Hoya and B+W. The B+W is likely the best filter, neutral, etc, but I have a real problem with all my B+W filters getting stuck on the lenses or rings. Not sure why, but they do and it gets annoying to the point I use the Hoya or the Nikon.

5. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought B & W were supposed to be less likely to stick because of the solid brass. My research shows B & W to be the top of the line and most would say well worth the price. Again, I would prefer to spend the money now and be done.

6. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    I'm blaming a week long family reunion and company at home the following week for posting a filter question in the general lighting discussion area.
    I just noticed this and apologize. I'll pay closer attention from now on.
    Maybe I'll take a nap as well.

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Naw, just getting older. Happens more and more......

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Don't overlook Nikon's CPL II. Its thin and the optics are superb. About $110 at B& H. Don't know what a B+W costs. I got one to replace an older Hoya and the results are dramatic.

9. Hi Terrance

I bought a Nikon CPL II also and am very pleased with it. Here is a sample image with it (and some pp):

10. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    Thanks for the Nikon information. I never thought of that.
    Being a ND prairie boy most of my life, I love the wheat field picture.
    Thanks for sharing.