1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

poles and shadows

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gary gruber, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:24 PM.

1. gary gruber

gary gruber

Jun 27, 2019
    SO CAL
    poles and shadows.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    View attachment 1641651

2. I agree. and perfect for B&W.

3. There is an interesting detail about this photograph (in addition to the imaginary diagonal line): The viewer has to figure out by analyzing the shadows that the pole has two signs at the top. I haven't determined whether that's a strength or weakness of the photo, but you'll never hear me arguing strongly against anything in a photo that makes me stop and think, which this characteristic definitely did.

Question for Gary: Was that apparent difference between the pole and its shadow your intention before you released the shutter?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 4:12 PM
  4. gary gruber

gary gruber

Jun 27, 2019
    SO CAL
    I just respond to what stimulates me visually. There is no cognitive aspect to my work. Sometimes I see multiple moving parts with a blank that needs to be filled in. I wait. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. That's the nature of the beast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.