poles and shadows

There is an interesting detail about this photograph (in addition to the imaginary diagonal line): The viewer has to figure out by analyzing the shadows that the pole has two signs at the top. I haven't determined whether that's a strength or weakness of the photo, but you'll never hear me arguing strongly against anything in a photo that makes me stop and think, which this characteristic definitely did.

Question for Gary: Was that apparent difference between the pole and its shadow your intention before you released the shutter?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is an interesting detail about this photograph: The viewer has to figure out by analyzing the shadows that the pole has two signs at the top. I haven't determined whether that's a strength or weakness of the photo, but you'll never hear me arguing strongly against anything in a photo that makes me stop and think, which this characteristic definitely did.

Question for Gary: Was that apparent difference between the pole and its shadow your intention before you released the shutter?
I just respond to what stimulates me visually. There is no cognitive aspect to my work. Sometimes I see multiple moving parts with a blank that needs to be filled in. I wait. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. That's the nature of the beast.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom