Polishing the Silver

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by beaucamera, Nov 19, 2005.

1. With the holidays ahead it's time to start thinking about polishing the silver. You guys know all about that, table finery and all the rest.

Here's an image I took sometime back. It show how really beautiful silver can be when it's polished brightly.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

This is the work of Wolmar "Tito" Castello of Taxco, Mexico.

and another of a friend whose reflection I captured in one of his fine silver pieces. Yes, the bit around her ear is my lens!

36407493.1773adj.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2005
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh yeah, I like the look of freshly polished silver! And I ought to know, I just cleaned up an entire 24 place full set including salad forks and butter knives! Not to mention the serving spoons, carving forks and salad tongs!

However, I am a lazy chemist, so I whipped up a 10% thiourea/acetic acid solution and did the dip thing. 5 seconds in the dip and it looks better than half an hour of hand polishing. And it's impossible to over polish, 'cause it just dissolves the oxide/sulfide without touching the metal itself. :wink:

(ps, be sure to wash the stuff off, cause it's toxic!)

Oh by the way, I really like the reflective stuff. Have you ever submitted to the Mirror Project? It's a blast.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I really like these images Virginia. Especially the second one. Great catch. :>)))

4. I'm impressed, Chris! Being a chemist can really come in handy! Thanks for the link to the Mirror Project. Hadn't heard about it before.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera