1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Poll: CLS Exposure iTTL or M

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by jklofft, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I'm curious what people are currently using for flash exposure on CLS. Thanks for playing.

2. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Both. If the subject is stationary, such as a formal portrait in a studio setting, then I use manual. But if the subject is moving around, and the ambient lighting is changing (like at a party), then I use iTTL.

3. Dittos on David's post. When I shoot a wedding, I'll use manual settings for the formals, and TTL for the reception.

4. Do you find TTL is consistent enough?

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    If I am using CLS, I use TTL on the flash and manual exposure in the camera.

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Its manual unless its a snap shot and I don't care.

Manual on the flash and camera.

7. I use both, depending

upon what I am doing. If doing portraits, M is my preference.

8. Both, depending on situation. Just like I change exposure modes depending on the situation.

Ronnie

9. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Since I se my flashes with Pocket Wizards it's all manual for me, I can't seem to use my SB-600 in automatic mode anyway :tongue:

10. Since I use CLS only for macro and table top (product) shots, I exclusively shoot in Manual mode.

Cheers

11. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    I got to admit, TTL has never failed me..

12. Raymond Lowe

Raymond Lowe Guest

How about a speedlight bouncing off an umberella? Logically it should be no different it seems (the camera cares about the light coming through the lens, not what it bounced off of) yet when I try it I always seem to end up under exposed.

And it's not a lack of power because switching to manual I have plenty.

I don't care that much either way it's just that it seems illogical and that's irritating.

R.

13. Raymond,

I've found on each of my Nikon DSLRs I've needed to add some +EC to any CLS shot where there wasn't enough light for ambient exposure. Once I found the amount that I liked, iTTL CLS was pretty consistent. For example on my D700 I've been adding +1EC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.