Poll of shooting modes you use most

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve S, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I think I know the answer, but I thought if would be fun to do a poll.
    Also, when using a mode other than your standard mode, could you give a brief explanation of why you use that other one?

(Admins, would you move this poll to General Discussion?) Thanks.

2. I think for me its habit - I could do shutter priority and do it the same way because when I look at exposure I am always checking both A and S anyway. It's also generally easier to have aperture hit the wall in lower light situations so I guess if you control it then you just have to make sure you have enough SS to handhold, and if not then you have to climb the ISO ladder or get out the tripod.

Ultimately its all a balancing act of aperture, shutter speed and ISO to calculate your exposure.

( I apologize for answering if this is a D2x specific question as its in the D2Xtasy forum and I don't have a D2x yet, but it seemed like a more general question so I answered anyway - I hope thats ok and I don't get ejected)

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Aperture #1 mode for me.......then Shutter when I'm concerned about a moving subject ..

Gaye

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Please place your vote GJ!

Thanks!

5. Aperture for the most part, mainly because when composing I want to consider depth-of-field and lens capability issues when shooting. I would guess this is what most photographers here would do, however:

Shooting flying birds (or I suppose other moving objects such as athletes :) ) can work better with shutter priority, assuming you know the best speed for a given situation. This is something I'm still getting a feel for, but others here seem to be pretty well versed in this. Most of my interest and time has been shooting stationary objects, though, so I tend to use aperture-priority more often.

6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Manual mode

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Iliah,
    Please explain why you use Manual mode most of the time. Is it that much better than AF. I know it's for Macro work but now curious to know how you use it......

Thanks and best to you,
    Gaye

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I think he meant Manual Exposure mode

In which you can obviously Autofocus *or* Manually focus! ;)

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I thought the question was about metering, not focussing. :)

10. If you know what you are doing

Any priority will lead to the same result but I like to control quickly and without effort my DOF so I do use this setup in 95% + of the time wether it is portrait, sports, wildlife or sports.

An old habit I took from the Olympus OM-2 days.

11. It is metering ... :lol:

Some people confuse exposure and Focusing thinking they are the same action or brain.

In a camera, they are actually 2 different animals ...

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    My Choices

I almost always use A priority as I want control over the depth of field of my subject...either for isolation or focus reasons. It does add another dimension to my thinking as I need to keep shutter speeds in mind all of this time.

This is all governed by the EV I am applying to any given shot.

I almost always use AF-S, Center Area, Single area for focus with firing set to either release or focus priority depending on what I'm shooting.

I can't get a moving target to lock on AF-C to save my life.

13. I guess I'm a heretic..

I can't vote witht eh buttons since i use program mode

I actually use program mode most of the time then, Aperture mode with the big 800 Sigma, then I always use manual with flash.

Reason why I use program mode is that I dial in the aperture in program by rotating the back dial so in many ways it acts like an aperture setting anyways, it's an old habit from my Minolta 7000 days

a

14. Re: I guess I'm a heretic..

Then you are a cheater sir, shame on you. You are a disguised A shooter, SHAME on YOU .... :lol:

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    It has been moved Steve. BTW, I like your new avatar. Makes you look 10 years younger.... 8)

Frank

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The new avatar is with my old hair

the old one is with my new haircut. Thanks for moving it where it belongs.

17. Interesting that 100% of the pollees (if there is such a word) picked A mode. I'm afraid that I too fit in this category and do so because I like to control DOF in most situations. I do use M most of the time when shooting with flash so that I can control the background EV easily.

18. Aperture...unless I panic and then its...dare I say it?....P

Yes, I know, I'm ashamed to admit it :cry: But when I have to get the shots I wallow in the gutter and let the camera do the work

Forgive me!

:D

Rich

19. Re: I guess I'm a heretic..

Well I guess so, "A mode? I don't need no stinking A mode"

a

20. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Mine works out like this
    A-mode 80%
    S-mode 10%
    M-mode 5%
    P-mode 5% (used during early morning xmas when gifts are opened, but I'm still not really awake/stuff like that)