Poll of shooting modes you use most

What shooting mode do you use most and why?

• Total voters
I think I know the answer, but I thought if would be fun to do a poll.
Also, when using a mode other than your standard mode, could you give a brief explanation of why you use that other one?

(Admins, would you move this poll to General Discussion?) Thanks.

I think for me its habit - I could do shutter priority and do it the same way because when I look at exposure I am always checking both A and S anyway. It's also generally easier to have aperture hit the wall in lower light situations so I guess if you control it then you just have to make sure you have enough SS to handhold, and if not then you have to climb the ISO ladder or get out the tripod.

Ultimately its all a balancing act of aperture, shutter speed and ISO to calculate your exposure.

( I apologize for answering if this is a D2x specific question as its in the D2Xtasy forum and I don't have a D2x yet, but it seemed like a more general question so I answered anyway - I hope thats ok and I don't get ejected)

Aperture #1 mode for me.......then Shutter when I'm concerned about a moving subject ..

Gaye

Aperture for the most part, mainly because when composing I want to consider depth-of-field and lens capability issues when shooting. I would guess this is what most photographers here would do, however:

Shooting flying birds (or I suppose other moving objects such as athletes :) ) can work better with shutter priority, assuming you know the best speed for a given situation. This is something I'm still getting a feel for, but others here seem to be pretty well versed in this. Most of my interest and time has been shooting stationary objects, though, so I tend to use aperture-priority more often.

Iliah,
Please explain why you use Manual mode most of the time. Is it that much better than AF. I know it's for Macro work but now curious to know how you use it......

Thanks and best to you,
Gaye

I think he meant Manual Exposure mode

In which you can obviously Autofocus *or* Manually focus! ;)
GeeJay said:
Iliah,
Please explain why you use Manual mode most of the time. Is it that much better than AF. I know it's for Macro work but now curious to know how you use it......

Thanks and best to you,
Gaye

GeeJay said:
Iliah,

Thanks and best to you,
Gaye
I thought the question was about metering, not focussing. :)

If you know what you are doing

Any priority will lead to the same result but I like to control quickly and without effort my DOF so I do use this setup in 95% + of the time wether it is portrait, sports, wildlife or sports.

An old habit I took from the Olympus OM-2 days.

Iliah said:
GeeJay said:
Iliah,

Thanks and best to you,
Gaye
I thought the question was about metering, not focussing. :)
It is metering ... :lol:

Some people confuse exposure and Focusing thinking they are the same action or brain.

In a camera, they are actually 2 different animals ...

My Choices

I almost always use A priority as I want control over the depth of field of my subject...either for isolation or focus reasons. It does add another dimension to my thinking as I need to keep shutter speeds in mind all of this time.

This is all governed by the EV I am applying to any given shot.

I almost always use AF-S, Center Area, Single area for focus with firing set to either release or focus priority depending on what I'm shooting.

I can't get a moving target to lock on AF-C to save my life.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I guess I'm a heretic..

I can't vote witht eh buttons since i use program mode

I actually use program mode most of the time then, Aperture mode with the big 800 Sigma, then I always use manual with flash.

Reason why I use program mode is that I dial in the aperture in program by rotating the back dial so in many ways it acts like an aperture setting anyways, it's an old habit from my Minolta 7000 days

a

Re: I guess I'm a heretic..

andreasb said:

I actually use program mode most of the time then, Aperture mode with the big 800 Sigma, then I always use manual with flash.

Reason why I use program mode is that I dial in the aperture in program by rotating the back dial so in many ways it acts like an aperture setting anyways, it's an old habit from my Minolta 7000 days

a
Then you are a cheater sir, shame on you. You are a disguised A shooter, SHAME on YOU .... :lol:

It has been moved Steve. BTW, I like your new avatar. Makes you look 10 years younger.... 8)

Frank

The new avatar is with my old hair

the old one is with my new haircut. Thanks for moving it where it belongs.
Flew said:
It has been moved Steve. BTW, I like your new avatar. Makes you look 10 years younger.... 8)

Frank

Interesting that 100% of the pollees (if there is such a word) picked A mode. I'm afraid that I too fit in this category and do so because I like to control DOF in most situations. I do use M most of the time when shooting with flash so that I can control the background EV easily.

Steve S said:
I think I know the answer, but I thought if would be fun to do a poll.
Also, when using a mode other than your standard mode, could you give a brief explanation of why you use that other one?

(Admins, would you move this poll to General Discussion?) Thanks.
Aperture...unless I panic and then its...dare I say it?....P

Yes, I know, I'm ashamed to admit it :cry: But when I have to get the shots I wallow in the gutter and let the camera do the work

Forgive me!

:D

Rich

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Re: I guess I'm a heretic..

Well I guess so, "A mode? I don't need no stinking A mode"

a

Boobie Joe said:
andreasb said:

a
Then you are a cheater sir, shame on you. You are a disguised A shooter, SHAME on YOU .... :lol:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom