Poll of shooting modes you use most

What shooting mode do you use most and why?

• Total voters
When shooting without flash I invariably use Aperture priority.

When using the SB800, I use a method I picked up in another place; which is to use Manual mode, dial in the shutter speed you want (I usually use 1/125) and the aperture you want (I usually use f/11) and let the flash (in iTTL mode) take care of the details. It works!

I use Shutter priority for my line of work. If I'm using a big lens, I set my shutter speed to something like 1/320 to 1/640 and then I set my ISO to auto, with a minimum setting of ISO 200 (on the D2H). If I'm using daylight fill-flash, I set my shutter to the fastest sync (on the D2H 1/250th) and disable auto ISO. These settings are not used for artistic merit, but it guarantees my shot where content is more important than composure.

All my indoor/night flash work is done on the (M)anual setting. For club stuff, I'm a big fan of ultra slow shutter speeds and rear curtain. I usually just stick to incremental settings on the aperture like 2.8, 4, 6.3, 8 and 11 and on shutter I usually stick to anywhere from 2 secs, 1/30, 1/40, 1/80, 1/125 and 1/160 for night flash stuff.

For personal stuff I shoot, I try to do everything manually, I find using auto modes makes you lazy, especially with digital. In fact I found the D2H made my technique lazy. By working under the limitations of my old D100 I found it made me understand digital photography better. That's why I advocate that noobs never get the best stuff first.

UncleFrank said:
Flew said:
It has been moved Steve. BTW, I like your new avatar. Makes you look 10 years younger.... 8)
That's because it's a picture of his kid :twisted:!
UF, you may be onto something here.... 8)

Just kidding Steve.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

I'm a big fan of the flex program off of P mode. A lot of my work needs the shutter speed but it lets me run in the other direction in a second to grab other shots for more dof. The speed of use is incredible and reliable. If extreme conditions exist or I'm on a slow shoot I'll play with A & P mode. One of these days I'm going to do a test to use the flex program as a "meter" to see how shots from A and S mode compare to shots from the same readings in flex. A good example of running flex in both directions is capturing race horses on a steeplechase jump and turning around to get crowd reaction.

B

bpetterson

I misread the question.
Thought it said Model.
So the answers did not make sense.
So I read the question again.

Time to check my glasses.

Birger

That's funny, Birger! Now don't forget to vote!

bpetterson said:
I misread the question.
Thought it said Model.
So the answers did not make sense.
So I read the question again.

Time to check my glasses.

Birger

B

bpetterson

OK;

Aperture 90%
Auto ISO 5%- shutter set
Shutter 5%

Birger

Aperture most of the time--always for landscapes and absolutely necessary for macro
Shutter when shooting birds in flight or moving subjects; also sometimes for flash when I want to force it to the max synch speed
Manual for flash sometimes
P when my brain hurts

C

Carol Steele

I tend to use Aperture priority most of the time - except when shooting sports or (just started) wildlife using my 70-200mm VR + TC-17E II . When using the latter combo I have found that Shutter Priority and Auto ISO to be a good combination for me - that combination tends to help if the light level changes and I might otherwise miss the shot by changing the shutter speed - the ISO will increase to compensate.

N

nfoto

About 95% of the shots are taken on "A" (Aperture priority), the remainder on "M". I never use "P" or "S" modes on any camera.

Seems I'm too late for the poll. :D

In daylight, I usually go w/ Aperture Priority like most here, primarily for the DoF control.

When light is consistently low, I usually switch to Manual mode w/ Auto ISO on and shutter speed set at something handholdable -- hate lugging around pods, but I really should get one to replace my lost monopod. If I have the opp to make multiple shots and the light is relatively constant, I turn off Auto ISO and use a baseline ISO (taken from an earlier shot) that I vary as I see the need -- very nice to have 1/3-stop ISO steps for this.

With flash, I'm still experimenting too much to have any constant. But most times, for something simple, I go w/ Aperture Priority w/ or w/out the flash bounced.

As for metering type, I vary depending on the scene, content, etc. Nothing definitive. I'd say I actually use the histogram+highlight review more than the camera's meter unless I only have one quick opp for the shot. :D

At the end of the day, it all depends... ;)

_Man_

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom