Poll: Tough Auto Decision

What should I do?

• Keep the Subaru

Votes: 39 90.7%
  • Buy the BMW

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I need a neutral audience since if I post on the forums for the respective automaker, I will be getting some biased reviews.

I currently have an 09 Subaru Impreza WRX. I bought the car new 4 years ago and have put 33K well cared for miles on it. Unfortunately, it has accumulated a few dents and dings. It also goes through a lot of gas on the highway since it doesn't have a 6th gear. I enjoy the car, but respect it and don't wring it out.

I live just a few miles from work, have been getting vehicle ADD, and who wouldn't love to pocket some cash.

I am considering selling my car (it is my daily driver) for a high mileage(140-160k) 01-04 BMW M3. I have found a couple candidates (manual,well kept) that suit this bill and my price. I feel like this is a car I would keep for 1-2 years, and sell via private party for probably just as much as I paid for it.

I know I am taking on the liability of additional maintenance, but this is not different then my current vehicle which may require brakes and 36k maintenance soon. What are your thoughts? Be brutal, I am difficult to offend.

Aint gonna have pocket cash by buying a BMW.:m41: Most people I know who have them are not that happy with them after a year. G/f apparently got lucky with her 2010 535i. 3 yrs no problems. Was kinda surprised she didnt get another Volvo after we t-boned a kid who pulled out in front of us in her S80 in 2010.

No way in hell I'd get a used M3 with 150K miles on it unless it was under $5000 and have to be really in good shape with full records. Real good chance its gonna be a nightmare for repairs. Why not just keep the Scooby and drive the wheels off? What does the 36k mile maintanance include? Brakes, well simple to do them yourself, new rotors, new pads.

Just to add, I'm not one for buying new vehicles (or used) every couple years. Got a used Sierra 4x4 last nov after the dakota I had for 12 yrs finally died. Gave up looking for another truck with a manual trans. No one has full sized trucks anymore with a manual. Could live without 4x4, but wanted to go full size and ext cab (or crew if possible). Really fun to try to use the "clutch" in an automatic when you drove manuals for nearly 30yrs.

I own an E36 M3 which has the older sibling of your motor. The motors stay VERY strong for ever. I do believe the S54 requires adjustment shims for the valves on a regular basis. These cars are maintenance whores. A home oil change is going to run you close to 100$. and if you're looking for 140-160k car, if the shocks haven't been replaced, they will have to be, they are 30-40k items at best, center support bearings, drive shaft isolation bushings etc... I don't know about the wheel tire set up on the e46, but I know the e36 m3 has a staggered set up so tire rotation is a costly process and cant really be done at home...

pros though i know my S52 is quite capable of 29mpg high way, i average about 24-25mpg combined city and highway...

if you want to know more pm me...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rpracing: too bad the manuals are dying.That was my mindset when I bought the car. I know a few that have had great luck with BMW, not sure of the M3. Like I said, my plan is to get rid of it before anything too brutal happens. Worst case, one is going for 11K for parts locally. I figure if I get a working one for less, I can come out ahead vs depreciation on the scooby.

Stephen, that sounds about right for the mileage. As for the valves, that is part of the inspection II process. However, it usually doesn't result in changes for well maintained vehicles. Thanks for the input.

Desmond,your practical perspective is reminiscent of consumer reports and its annual automotive review. I did briefly consider a supra. I feel that compared to a Hyundai, I'd take a new Hyundai with its warranty for the price, features, and warranty compared to toyota.

Thanks, I appreciate all of the comments so far.

Desmond,your practical perspective is reminiscent of consumer reports and its annual automotive review. I did briefly consider a supra. I feel that compared to a Hyundai, I'd take a new Hyundai with its warranty for the price, features, and warranty compared to toyota.

Thanks, I appreciate all of the comments so far.
I suppose as long as it's new with a full warranty - because when a customer phones us and says "I have a Hyundai"[or Daewoo]" we generally reply "Sorry to hear that" :) [ they are considered throw-away cars here]

I would keep the WRX for sure. You already got it broken in and have the whatever minor problems worked out of it. No need in buying a high mileage money pit. Plus the WRX will do much better in the snow.. No reason you shouldn't get 20 years out of a car.:biggrin:

I loved my 3 series. I drove it like I was angry at it and it did nothing but reward the bad behavior. :biggrin: Yes, it did need to have the hood raised at least once a month, and liked pricey oil, but it was an easy car to work on (a few weird tools) and an absolute joy to drive hard. As soon as my kids are older....

I vote to keep it. You bought it new and know the history behind it and how it was taken care of. I would not trust buying a vehicle with 150k miles on it.

I've owned a couple of 3 series BMW's. They are expensive to maintain. Plus like a lot of light rear wheel drive cars they don't do well in snow. Your Subaru has four wheel drive, and is based on a world rally car. Not hard to guess which one will make through a Chicago snow storm. :biggrin:

At 33,000 miles it's barely broken in!

Real Name
David
Your well maintained 33k all wheel drive in Chicago car vs SOMEONE'S 140-160k drivers car that many very well have been driven like it's made?

Why are we having this conversation again?

I suppose as long as it's new with a full warranty - because when a customer phones us and says "I have a Hyundai"[or Daewoo]" we generally reply "Sorry to hear that" :) [ they are considered throw-away cars here]
Correct about the Hyundai, I recently purchased the i10 new with 5 year warranty and 100,000 mileage limitation to replace the car for the wife,(I wouldn't dream of one for me) for £7k, We will in five years take the hit and move on cheap motoring, my motor's depreciate that and more annually.
I will add we had a Kia Picanto which the wife had for 6 years driven like most women do!! and the only repair that ever needed was a new clutch (no surprise to me) which burnt out after she insisted on driving with boots on after I advised her against it, when we traded it we had a great deal.

Buy, swap, trade for a used high mileage BMW to use as your primary vehicle? No. If you do, pre-print a whole checkbook to your mechanic or dealership or give your credit card # to them...

Another thought is to go ahead and sell the Subaru, get this BMW then use public transportation as your primary mode of getting from Pt A to Pt B.

I'm a huge fan of anything with a M tuned motor. Anything under about 75,000 miles, that is. Those are very special engines that require maintenance above and beyond a regular motor. Qualified mechanics outside of BMW dealerships are few and far between (and the dealerships show no mercy on repair bills). If you know or can find a well respected BMW tech outside a dealership to spend some time with the car (prepare to spend $200-300) givin it a thorough evaluation, then I'd still be leary, but maybe slightly less so. I've bad two BMWs and will likely have more, but a performance car with that many miles is a potentially very bad idea...

I've owned both brands. Get the dents repaired and keep the Subaru. We kept our 2000 Forester for almost 10 years. I got a generous trade-in for a 2010 Acura TSX (our car of choice). Our eldest son regrets not asking us for a chance to buy it. His 530 began falling apart and cost a fortune to fix each time. This sounds like a 'grass is greener' situation. Don't go with your heart..I did once and bought a new 3rd generation Mazda RX-7 and regretted it. The BMW I had was the next worst car purchase.

By all means keep the Subaru. You are the original owner & know you have a good car. Yes it drinks gas, but so will an M3. The high mileage M3 is also very likely to eat all the money & more you made selling that WRX. The M3 is a fine car, but a high mileage one most likely is not.

As for buying a Toyota, you'd be in danger of falling asleep at the wheel driving such a boring car. ;-)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom