Poll: What do you photograph?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jklofft, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Landscape

10.5%
  2. Wildlife

7.0%
  3. Nature (Landscape, Micro, Wildlife)

38.6%
  4. Portrait

5.3%
  5. Travel

3.5%
  6. Photojournalism

8.8%
  7. Weddings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Street Photography

8.8%
  9. Reportage (Documentary, Photo Essays)

1.8%
  10. Family Snapshots

15.8%
  1. I know that many of us photograph a variety of subjects, but what is the principle type of subject that you photograph?

2. One thing I like about photographing nature is that birds don't change their look just because they're having their pic taken, unlike humans. It's amazing how people can get such daft faces when a camera is put in front of them. I've got a friend who closes his eyes in over 90% of his shots. When I tell him to keep his eyes open, he looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Such a waste of film, back to the birds! *LOL*

3. Sandi, I got a kick out of your comment. It's interesting how many people manage to close their eyes at the instant you take the image. I take a lot of group shots and invariable one or two of those in the group will have their eyes closed. I prefer candid shots with a long lens. Expressions are almost always better.

4. I have a sister-in-law that has that problem. In family photos, I have her close her eyes and then open them a moment before I hit the shutter.

The reason I like photographing people is their unpredicability. I've recently be using shorter lens and trying to get candid shots (you need to be much braver). This was taken with my 17-55DX

5. I once made the mistake, while hired to do an engagement photo shoot, of telling the girl that I can do touchups etc. When she finally chose which pic(s), she said "I want my eyes from this shot, and my mouth from this shot on my face from this shot." Why, oh why did I ever open my big fat mouth about the marvels of Photoshop??????? *LOL* When shooting people, to try to avoid the dreaded blinkies, I say "ready, set, smile" hoping they'll at least try to keep the peepers open for a few secs.

Yes Gordon, candids are always fun, esp with young children.
    I really like this shot, Jeff. You can see in his face that he has a special relationship with his animals. I should take my camera to the Royal Winter Fair this year in Toronto, these folks are very proud of their little beasties.

6. Brew

Brew Guest

I do mainly ore sons sports but hey since I have it, I'll try anything.
    So I checked photojournalism...

Haven't been able to do nudes yet though!!!! :frown: :wink:

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I really don't have a main subject matter, but I shoot a variety of things like
    or
    and I used to shoot..
    now and then I shoot things like..
    I've noticed what I DON'T shoot and that is sports, auto racing etc. probably because they don't interest me so I don't do it therefore I'm not good at it.. :smile:
    Jarrell

8. I think the poll should include more choices. For example, I can't answer because I always take vacation shots, but that's only a few weeks a year.

Rich

9. Rich,

I originally had a list of about 20 or so, but the poll feature limits to 10.

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    That's me!! - Snapshot central!

[​IMG]

11. but they are very nice snapshots indeed!

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I do mainly family snapshots since I don't get out to photograph often. When I do though, anything is fair game.

When I first got the D70 I accidently on purpose got a company group photo and they used it for thier xmas card. Then did some product photography for them. There have also been a few panoramic prints sold as well. Most of my photographic energy is directed at my children where it will stay for some time. :smile:

13. As much as I would love to do more portraits and family snapshots, I find that my family members hate their pictures being taken, and the same with my friend's, too. Therefore, I'm stuck photographing primarily landscape, and just now getting into nature photography (slowly though).

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I checked photojournalism because sports action has become my passion. Since becoming a member of the Cafe, many of you have inspired me to broaden my horizons to try different types of shooting and I am really enjoying myself. Years ago when I was still shooting film with my AE-1 Program...I enjoyed shooting cars, flowers, night photography and occassionally some landscapes, but I was only dabbling in photography. I have since become an "addict" and crave new adventures with my camera gear. I've made great friends with Tony (Papa85), he makes one heck of a shooting partner. He is pretty darned knowledgable and I hope to tap into that database between his ears to learn more about shooting. I never would have met him without becoming a member of Nikon Cafe. Never would have met any of you without the Cafe. It's beautiful thing!!! :biggrin:

15. Would an ovarian tumor be nature?

It was full of hair. Blond, in fact.

Taken with a cool little one cubic inch HDTV Stryker video camera(about $20,000). Video cap printed on an even cooler 20 second Sony dye sub printer that looks like a DVD player except the photo slides out the slot in front. Great OR toys.

Bonus question...anybody know what that purple-handled thing is normally used for?

medium.

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I voted street. But really I only do street photography one Friday a month, and only about half the months at that. That, and 'captive animals' are my 'personal projects'. Othertimes I'll photograph anything I'm paid for, and a whole lot of other stuff I don't get paid for, like my feet or the junk on my desk.

I didn't see a category for that though. ... Family snaps without the family?

17. I voted street. I shoot people on the street if they like it or not. boo hoo for them! :cool:

18. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Attaching to the fetal head?

Hey, I have a Sony dye-sub printer - very nice.

19. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

My favorite type of photography is photo journalism with sports being the primary subject.
    That being said, I have gotten into more nature photography in the last year too. My problem is that I am not a real outdoorsy kind of guy... :eek:
    I really don't like long walks in ruff conditions... :smile:

I love telling stories with my photo when just go out looking for things to photograph.

Dave

20. I couldn't answer either... I shoot fashion and glamour.
    Perhaps adding "Other" or "None of the above" would have sufficed.

Woody

[​IMG]