POLL: Your opinion on flash websites?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vinod Menon, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Love it

100.0%
  2. Don't mind it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hate it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hi everyone,

I have seen several photographers (including professionals) who have flash websites to display their galleries. I have found quite a few that I thought were stunning. But, I have heard many people saying that they don't like flash websites :shock:. I thought this is a good group of people to get opinions from on this matter. Please participate in the poll.

THanks,
    -Vinod

2. My vote was "Hate-It", and I'll tell you why. First off, I have a very fast 'Net connection, so the speed is not the issue. My problem is that while some of the sites are "stunning", they are "stunning" when you first see them, and then the "flash" gets really old, and in many cases, in my way. There is nothing more annoying to me than having a web site that is not intuitive and easy to navigate, and once people start getting creative with flash, I find that both of those go right out the window. So most often I only visit a site like that once, unless there is a very easy way to turn off the flash and deal with a more natural navigation. Now, when I have to connect via a slow link, dial-up for example, the time taken for flash becomes overwhelming.

So, that is MY 37 cents worth anyway.

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    There's a reason I don't use flash on my website. I think plain and simple makes for the best photo experience. It's like thumbing through a book or watching a TV show. TV shows are much fancier and visually stunning, but how much do you really get out of the images?

I can spend hours looking at photographs in a good book.

But that's just me. In all reality, when I see flash sites, I just breeze through them, or skip them all together.

The effect is cool the first time, but gets old fast, and for someone surfing the web, it's simply faster to skip it and go to the next site.

4. I voted "Don't mind it" because I have a broadband connection. That being said, it is a limiting technology. Your website will be limited to those folks with high speed access and have the correct plug-ins. Most professional "flash" sites have a non-flash option (twice the work).

5. Thank you all for your opinions...very helpful. I was just looking into creating a flash wesbite, but I think I will hold off for now. Looks like a lot of effort for little gain. :D

This is one of the sites that impressed me...flash based but not too flashy 8) http://www.braingiants.com/photo/welcome.html

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I dislike flash for several reasons. For one thing, it seems like flash sites are always fixed-size, and end up being too small on a high-resolution dekstop. The navigation/UI is often non-standard and sometimes downright confusing or tedious. Additionally, any use of sound or music is a big turnoff from me (what can I say, I like to surf from work while taking a break, waiting for a project compile, etc).

And to add injury to insult, my work machine is one of those lucky systems where the IE version of Flash refuses to install correctly no matter what I try (it's a known issue but Adobe doesn't have a fix). So I can't view flash sites from work unless I launch an alternate web browser (can you guess how often I bother doing that just to see some web site that will probably end up annoying me with its interface anyway?).

7. I voted "Hate it" and agree with much of what others have already said. I hate that you can't adjust the window size, copy and paste (even so much as an email address), or print easily. I hate that most of them "control" the experience for you. When a site offers a flash or html option, I always choose the html...and I have a T1 line at work, and DSL at home, so its not a speed issue. You can create a wonderful site without Flash. Who needs it!?

8. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Don't like it...

When I first had my website up and running, I had the designer use flash and it had a tremendous "wow" factor. Each page has a running slideshow with images fading in and fading out over a 4-5 second span.

But I soon realized it was too distracting. People couldn't read the text because they were watching the slideshows. Now people can take their own sweet time and click on the images they want.

9. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Very few Flash-enabled sites appeal to me. About the best example I have seen is the following, it's AMAZING:

The Polar Express

Anyway, for photographers, I feel that the art should take the lead, not the site. Of course, a good design will compliment your work, but too much flash or Flash takes away from the photography. I prefer a clean, lean, well designed site...the minimalist look -- like many galleries are.

Cory

10. sinapps

sinapps

Apr 30, 2005
    Houston
    With Flash you're also missing out on a great viral marketing opportunity. On a HTML gallery you can send a link to a specific page with an image. This is not possible with Flash. An AD is more likely to pass on a specific image to his client rather then send a client to a site and try to explain how to navigate through several links to get to the proper point.

11. Thanks all, you have all brought up some good points. I think I underestimated the number of people who dislike flash! :lol:

12. HEY!!! I am the only one that likes FLASH websites?????? What gives??? :? :? :? :?

13. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I used to hate them, but now days I'm in the undecided camp. At least most "designers" (and I use the term very loosely) have stopped the moronic (and that's an understatement) habit of insisting on opening a new, specially-sized window for their oh-so-marrrrvvvveellous-darling (and that's just cheap shot sarcasm) flash.

I've seen sites now using flash that I think work well and seamlessly. SimpleViewer (and that's being too lazy to google the site's url) is one that works well. It does have the advantage of reducing the risk of your images being nicked.

Neil

14. Hey Bryan, looks like you are!! :lol: :lol:

15. I looked at Simpleviewer and a few other Flash with XML combos that are quite good...I really think a lot depends on the design of the site, the simpler the better.