1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Polo today

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by McQ, Sep 14, 2008.

1. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Got a few shots from a local Polo match. I've shot this sport once before. This match seemed to have a faster pace than the other one I saw. Enjoy. C&C welcome.

All shots with D3 and 300mm f/2.8 (no TC). Aperture priority. No flash, no EV compensation, Center weighted average metering. Shot in RAW, processed in NX, converted to JPEG for here.

MCQ_9461.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MCQ_9464.jpg

MCQ_9471.jpg

MCQ_9498-1.jpg

MCQ_9510.jpg

MCQ_9518.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    wow, they are really nice. Just love #4...how were the cucumber sandwiches by the way ?

3. same here, #4 rocks...maybe just cut out that crop end...?

4. killer shots Glen. i like #1 best with the veins in the horses neck.

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    All nice images
    If I had to pick one #4 really works for me Thanks for sharing

6. McQ

Thanks, Darren, Chris, Aldo, and Mark.

Darren, can you believe it? No cucumber sandwiches! :eek:  How tacky!

Chris, consider the end of that riding crop gone. I'll be removing it from the RAW original in a moment. Thanks for mentioning that, as it does intrude on the shot, and it needs to go.

I'm appreciative of the C&C guys. Every shoot is a new experience and since this is a new sport for me, I need all the extra eyes I can get on my shots!

7. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I'm with Mark, #4 is a poster for sure. Nice job Glenn...

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi

9. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi

10. McQ

Thanks, Tim!

Thanks, Tim!

Thanks, Tim!

:biggrin:

11. ROFL Glenn, was going to say "crop the crop" but thought that would be too much :smile:

12. That's cool stuff, I'd be interested in learning more about how you went about determining shooting positions and what other challenges you faced during the day. I am planning to shoot Polo this Sunday and wopuld appreciate your thoughts. BTW, should I bring the Grey Poupon?

13. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

wow ... polo !! .... way cool .... i've seriously never seen a polo game and it's great to see something else besides football here in the cafe !! neat stuff !!

14. Very cool shots. Great job, Glenn.

15. McQ

Hey, Brooks. I'm new to shooting polo, so I'm still figuring it out. I stayed about 1/3 of the way along the long axis of the field, but could have moved anywhere. I liked the shots I got from the end of the field better, but it is a very long field, and there is no guarantee that the ponies will come near the end you're standing.

Even with the 300mm f/2.8 and 1.4X TC, it was a huge field. At the matches I've started attending, I can get as close to the side boards as I want to (at my own risk). Sometimes the horses come over the boards, so paying attention is real important! LOL!

The major challenge I faced was the blasted sun! The matches here start at 2:30, and the sun is still pretty harsh and high at that time, but getting better with each passing week. I tried to monkey around with metering to see what works best. So far, no verdict, although center weighted is leading.

Panning will be the next hurdle. If I want good series shots, I'll have to pan more and more accurately.

Holler if you have any other questions. If I can help, I will.

16. McQ

Topher, Dave. Thanks guys. It is fun to shoot something different on the weekends! I really enjoyed the polo matches.

Oh, and Brooks, they were all out of the Gray Poupon. Just my luck. :biggrin:

17. So cool #4 is a wowzer must be hard to get enough DOf to try and get the players and horses in focus and still throw the BG OOF you did a great job on these

18. McQ

Thanks, Mike. Yes it is, and I'm still trying different settings to get that right. I keep thinking how much easier digital makes the learning curve for things like this though. Immediate results of our mistakes and the ability to correct them on the spot. I love it.

19. McQ

Included the updated shot of number four, with the riding crop that was poking into the picture, removed. Thanks, Chris!
    :smile:

20. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I hate to be a "me too" poster, but I love #4 as well.
    In fact, I like them all. I like the shots of the horses coming straight toward me. Nice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.