Critique Poly or Mono?

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Footbridge on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal at Old Anglers Inn, Montgomery County MD

_WJW1460-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_WJW1460-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Close call, probably the mono version works better as it brings out the forms present better. But the colour version communicates a pleasant day out better.

IMHO, black and white needs strong lines and angles. Here it is too busy, there are lines, diagonals, angles everywhere. For me, the color works a little better.
It really depends on the story you are trying to tell, and how it fits in with your other images.
As a stand alone image I don't get a lot out of it.
Are the people important to your story? If so, color brings them out more. If they are not important to your story, why are they there?
Just my opinion, which you should likely ignore
gary

Real Name
Andy
Just a thought:

Would you consider blurring the foreground a bit? I think that would make the image stronger, particularly in the monochrome version where the eye is drawn to it more than one might like.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Thanks to Nigel, Gary, jbird and Andy for responding. I appreciate the critique of experienced photographers whose own images I've admired on this site.

I tried unsuccessfully to fix some of the problems you pointed out. The vegetation in front of the bridge couldn't be helped. Some cropping of the mono version and playing with the b&w color mixer and the clarity and texture sliders selectively helped a little to make the lines of the bridge stand out against a blurrier background, but in the end, I'm just not a good enough photographer to save this image, so I think I'll just delete both versions.

Gary's comments were particularly helpful: lines going all over the place, and the color version better if the people are important -- and they are indeed: this is an even more boring photo without them. In the end, though, neither version seems worth saving.

Jay Maisel has a famous quote "If you’re not your own severest critic, you are your own worst enemy."
I have lots and lots of images that I really want to like, but there is just nothing there.
Post more here, I learn every time I put up an image. Use the critique dropdown and listen. There are some very good photographers on this site, we can learn from their opinions.
gary

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Jay Maisel has a famous quote "If you’re not your own severest critic, you are your own worst enemy."
I have lots and lots of images that I really want to like, but there is just nothing there.
Post more here, I learn every time I put up an image. Use the critique dropdown and listen. There are some very good photographers on this site, we can learn from their opinions.
gary
Thanks, Gary. Your frank thoughts were particularly helpful.

I prefer the color version Bill. Because the bridge and the people stand out better in the image and also the image conveys the feel of a lovely day. A lot of trees and bushes make the image complicated in the B&W version.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom