Pond bug how-to.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Here is a quick run down on what I do for the pond bugs, this is new to me so I will pass on what I have learned.

I picked up a lot of information on this from the books John Shaw's Close-ups In Nature and Macrophotography Learning From A Master.

First I made a small aquarium that is 3" x 3" x 3" with a divider in the middle.

Then I went over to the pond which just happens to be across the street and netted some creatures. I brought them home with a jar of pond water and some plant life from the pond.

You need to have as clean as possible water so I use filtered water, distilled would be better. To get the creatures clean I place them in a jar of clean water then scoop them out and place them in another jar of clean water, you need to do this three times to get them nice and clean.

Now place pond water in the back partition with some plant life and filtered water in the front partition and place the creature in the clean side. You may have to place something in there for the creature to hang onto but rinse it off well if you do.

For lighting I use one flash coming in from an angle in the front and one from the top, I use minisoft boxes on the flashes.

The creatures will usually swim frantically then settle down and stop for a few seconds you have to be ready for when they stop and hope they stop in a photogenic position, it can take a while before you get a good shot when the creature is not at the edges or the bottom.

And once I finished with the creatures I take them back to the pond and let them go unharmed.

Martin

18883705-L.
    17420645-L.
    18883704-L.

2. Fascinating, Martin. So you have to give these guys baths to look this good! At least you don't have to use your cardboard trick for this setup. For those of you who don't know Martin yet, he's not afraid to get down in the mud and dirt or whatever to get that perfect shot.

Thanks for the show and tell!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very interesting...Thank you for the lesson. You do a great job.

Hummmmmmm bug washing.

I love Chriss reaction to the monster. lolol

Now I just know those are not very big for sure.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Martin. I might just see what I can do. I don't live near a pond, but I do live near the Tenneesee River. I'll see what I can do....even though I'm TERRIFIED of bugs!

6. Ha ha, they are pretty scary looking aren't they the Water Tiger's can be over two inches long and did I mention those pincer like jaws are venomous, pretty deadly if your a tadpole.

Thanks for the comments, today I am going to see if I can make something big enough for the Giant Water Bug, wait till you see a full size shot of those.

Martin

7. I'll tell you one thing for sure, I am staying out of the water. This is prehistoric photography at it's best.

8. Wow, thanks for the tutorial on shooting bugs.... I can really use this! I also have a nature-nut photography buddy, Peter Ferguson from DPR, and he's looking for a new project for this season - this would be good for him. It will be interesting to compare bugs of different locales... Thanks for this, Martin!

9. Thanks for the info Martin. I will have to try that sometime!! :) :) :)

10. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Great Info, Thanks Sounds easy enough to set up.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shots and excellent tutorial Martin.

I didn't see the cam / lens info in your post. What was your set-up?

Thanks!!

Frank

12. Thanks again for all the nice comments.

Frank:

I use the D70 and the 200 f4 micro was the lens for these.