Pondering the Imponderables.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Jacki, Rose-Canyon, may relate to this question more than others, but here is something completely off the photography and forum issue that has really been bothering me of late.

Here in the Pacific Northwest we have this great big Clam, called a geoduck, which is pronounced "Gooey-Duck", not "Gee-oh-Duck" as you might expect. OK, this is the English language so I can live with that. Heck, we have a city here, Sequim which is pronounced "Skwim".

But then I start hearing these radio ads for a new product for your deck, call "GeoDeck". And danged if they don't pronounce this "Gee-Oh-Deck", not a darned "Gooey" anywhere.

I have been asking around and no one can help me with this, so I am turning to my friends here at the Cafe for assistance.

How can this be? Should I be correcting the pronunciation to "Gooey" whenever I hear this? I know I can't change that for the Clam because we have laws on the books against "Gooey-Duck" poaching, no lie, a couple guys got fined a bit over $1,000,000 dollars last year, these suckers a worth a bunch.

Thanks in advance for the help, I know you folks will come through, you always do.....

2. Bill, have you changed your medication dosage lately??? *LOL* Maybe you just need a new lens to play with.... yeah, that's it!

3. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I'm completely lost, thinking of glycine and glycinia. Are they married or what?

PS. you call that flower wisteria most of the times...

PPS. Oh yes, I need a new lens, too. Can't decide which one. Droves me mad.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bill,

When I lived up there my Grand Daughter and I caught one of those UGLY things. They are huge as you now. OMG did we have fun with that. lololol

Anyway we pronounced it the same way you do. gooey. So gooey it is.

There.

5. Stop Bill, stick your head in a paper bag and breath deeply 5 times. I cures most ills. Gooey Duck sounds right to me.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    When I was young I liked rocks quite a bit. I wanted to be a gooeylogist.

Bill, you post the best topics. Whatever you're doing to get in that state of mind, ... rock on dude!

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Out here in the Southwest, we get people coming through who pronounce the word rodeo as "ro-day-oh", but we just shake our heads sadly, knowing that another Californian is in summer migration through the Land of Enchantment...

... and I'll have a 500mm AFS-II lens as a side order, please ? :Sheriff:

John P.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    John, we just shoot them types here in airey-zona.

9. Can you buy whatever he's on over the internet?

Anyone got a link?

:biggrin:

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    all different types. it has been said I live in Florider
    and drive a toyoder
    :>))

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2005
  11. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    At last, a comrade in arms. I salute you Sir for your foray 'en defense' (as the Kermits say) of the language.

When fed up with your present medication try one of my alternatives. Car Smash.
    Throw your car keys away.
    Place a sugar cube in a champagne glass.
    Float the sugar cube in Brandy.
    Top up with 'Champagne'.

Repeat the dose.

Feel totally in control for approximately 5 minutes, then wake up. Usually in somebody elses house and/or bed! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh happy days.

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chris :

Y'see, that's the problem with you folks over in the Grand Canyon State - you just jump to the end too quickly. Tsk-tsk.

Here in the Land of Enchantment, we let them spend 'till their credit cards are maxed out, then we let them enter the exciting world of fertilizer management, from the bottom up, so to say. :Sheriff: :Shocked: :Sheriff:

But no matter, I suppose, as you folks over in the next state west have more money than you know what to do with already... :Guns: :Sheriff: :Guns:

John P.

13. Sandi, no medication change at all, just once in a while my brain runs off with itself, I have absolutely no control whatsoever :rolleyes: . By the way, I notice in your tag line that you have 2 kayaks. Take a couple of extra oars, lash them across both kayaks and create yourself a kayak-pontoon. Hey, you could call it a "kayapoon" and make a fortune. Think how stable THAT would be for your photograhy. And the birds wouldn't laugh.....much.... :wink: Oh, yeah, just send me a 200-400 f4 AFS VR and I'll be too busy to ponder, at least for a day or three....

Iliah, it is obvious that I have been lost for many years, and thanks to many of your replies I have been led into even MORE imponderables ..... :smile: Hmm, wisteria, how many ways to say????

Gale, I won't tell you what my wife says about them, but I'll bet you know already :wink:

Gordon, I believe that bag thing won't work, can't find one big enough (figure I'll get THAT one in before somebody else does...). Looks like most votes are for Gooey, guess I'll have to call those Deck folks and set 'em straight.

Chris, it just comes natural, I think it is some sort of recessive gene or something. Hmmm, I wonder if I could package it, sort of like Dehydrated Water in Cans.....

John, I spent 26 years in Southern Califonia and learned that a "double-l" (ll) is pronounced as a "Y", as in "Padilla" being pronounced as "Pa-dee-ya". Get up here to Washington, see Padilla Bay, and when I pronounce it correctly, I am corrected, as it is "Pa-dill-a". No accounting for it, I'm afraid, just glad that the English language, or at least 'Merican, is so darned consistent....

Clive, I'll be happy to sell you some, just as soon as I figure out what to call it :smile:

Rob, that sounds pretty good, what's the point of the sugar cube, decoration? I went to a restaurant in the San Juan Islands called Hemingways. They made a drink called a Dirty Girl Scout. Served like a milk-shake. If memory serves, equal amounts of Bailey's, Rumplemints and Milk, blended with ice. Tastes just like Thin Mint cookies. Oh, man, I'm thirsty now......

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats teriffic Bill.

Ohhhh yeah I know what she calls them. roflmao........

15. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    People pay $4 for a bottle of water that probably comes from the faucet in Atlanta. Just might work.
    Call it Dehydrated Di-hydrogen Monoxide. Just add water.

16. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Bill, we can start right from how to pronounce Nikon, as you know... :)

17. I think you've got it, Gale. And to think that they call us Guys BAD!!!!!!! :wink:

18. A co-worker put a whole article up on the board here about Di-hydrogen Monoxide. Pretty deep subject. I have actually seen cans of Dehydrated Water. Just take a quart can, add 5 gallons of water, and BINGO, you get 5 gallons of water out of a 1 quart can....wait a minute, something just seems "wrong" here.....

As to the water, I like the "oxygenated" water you can now buy, amazing.

19. OK, I'll play:

"Neye-con", standard American English pronunciation
    "Knee-con", I think this is the "correct" original
    "Neye-cone"
    "Knee-cone"
    "Nick-on"
    "Nick-en"

Got a few more, Iliah? I'm sure I've missed a dozen or so.

20. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Hm. I heard a longer one: Nippon Contax :)