Pool attendant (Edit: A Grey heron)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DanielD, Apr 8, 2007.

1. This bird found its disposition:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  2. Interesting shot - what is causing the splash at the bottom?

3. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    That fella seems pretty proud standing on that object. Nice shot, definately different. - Jeff

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats to cute. Gotta love a GBH

Nice shot

5. Thanks,
    they pump air into the pond for the fishes, that's what is causing the splash.

6. Isn't it a grey heron?

Alan

7. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Lovely shot..I keep trying to get a decent shot of a heron but none yet!

8. Thanks for the comments.

Alan, I'm not sure. Actually I first thought it was a grey heron, but the picture on the German wikipedia page is different. The page of the (German) Kanadareiher looks much better. And that is the Great Blue Heron in English.

9. I understand your point Daniel, but the top photo you refer to is an immature bird, if you scroll down you'll see a breeding grey heron like yours.
    Actually, it's quite simple; if the bird is in North, Central or South America it's a great blue. But if it's in Europe, Asia or Africa, it's a grey.
    But I agree with Stuart, they are wary birds - so this is a good shot!

Alan

10. Thanks Alan for pointing out. I wasn't aware that the top picture of the German Wikipedia article is showing an immature bird (bad, they should at least have written that). I also looked at the English article and yes, I agree, it must be a grey heron, because the GBH "differs in slightly larger size, and chestnut-brown flanks and thighs".