Poor man's 600mm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CraigH., Feb 1, 2005.

1. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    I was just wondering if anyone here has used a 2x teleconverter on the 300mm f4 afs? I am not expecting good af ability. would liketo know about the optical performance of this combo. for situations where the extra reach could be helpful in good light. like an eagle on the other side of a river.
    here is one with 50% cropped away. would the tc give better resolution than a upsized crop without tc?

http://i2.pbase.com/u16/craigh/upload/39065153.eaglecrop.jpg
    regards

2. dunno but that 50% crop is better than any eagle shot i've taken.

3. Boy I sure wouldn't be apologizing for that shot. Who needs a 2X TC??

Oh by the way if you will click on the little IMG button before and after your URL it will embed the image.

Gordon

4. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Thanx Harris and Gordon. I was quite suprised how well it held up. i think i could do better with tc and no crop. hoping anyway.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Craig....

I get an 'Image Forbidden' message when I try to view your shot. :cry:

What's the scoop? Another pbase glitch??

Frank

6. Re: Hey Craig....

Hey Frank, just right click on it and then "copy shortcut" then paste it in the address line.

Gordon

7. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    I don't know Frank. let me try again. one moment please.

8. Craig, go to edit for your post and then put your cursor just ahead of the URL and click on the IMG button, then put your cursor after the URL and click on the IMG button again, then hit submit.

9. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    It somehow looks better to me in pbase. maybe some kind of compression going on here?

10. You're right

You're definitely right, its not an illusion. I put them up side by side and the pbase one has more detail and is brighter. don't know what the site is doing...probably is compressing them. Wonder if there's a way that setting can be changed??

11. Re: You're right

I just did a right-click and copied the URL of the image into a new browser window. Looking at them side-by-side I don't see any detail difference, but to me the image here looks just a slight bit lighter. It would not surprise me that pBase does something "special" during image display that we don't see here as this is a direct link to the image.

12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    There is nothing that I can find that phpbb is doing to degrade the images any. All that is occuring is when your open a thread that has an image it loads it from the link provided in your browser. No images are being stored here. Not sure why there would be a difference. Perhaps its the contrast of PBASE to Phpbb forum coloring.

Excellent capture by the way. I so want to get some Eagles.

Thanks,

13. It's a well known idiosynchrasy of pBase, Craig. If the original size of your image is greater than 800 pixels in its longest direction, and you direct link without specifying otherwise, pbase will squish it and serve up an image that's resized to 800 pixels.

Your eagle picture is 872X594 pixels. Embedding it as "http://www.pbase.com/craigh/image/39065153.jpg" results in an 800X545 pixel presentation.

[​IMG]

Embedding it as "http://www.pbase.com/craigh/image/39065153/original.jpg" results in the full sized (872X594 pixel) presentation.

[​IMG]

14. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Nice! thanks for sharing that Frank. very helpful.

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow UF, thanks!!

I thought that Craig and others were imagining the problem, maybe because of different background colors or something, but they were right, and I was wrong (again :cry: ). There is a logical explanation, and you have found it.

Once you see the images side by side, the difference is obvious.

You folks are *so* smart. :wink:

Excellent shot BTW Craig. :)

Frank

16. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    So what do you think Flew? would a 2x tc give better resolution than an up rez crop.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Craig, in my limited experience....

I don't have the experience of a Ron Reznick or of Yves or Harris, but I've found that more glass usually beats cropping, even if the optical quality is not as good (within reasonable limits of course).

If you were to attend the Merritt Island shoot in a couple of weeks, you could test the theory with my TC-20EII. :eek:

Having said that, your Eagle shot looks great to me, even at the high crop level.

Frank

18. Here is a Cheap Mans 1400mm.....

I normally shoot with a 500mm plus a 1.4 TC, which yields this uncropped image:

[​IMG]

On this particular day I decided to see what would happen if I stacked my 1.4 and 2.0 TC's. I expected a very soft, fuzzy look and I could see lot's of "jiggle" in the viewfinder. So I locked down the tripod and head as best I could and then attempted to stabilize as much as possible. I did not use MLU and the self-timer, although I should have, and this is the result:

[​IMG]

I was rather amazed at the result after the comments I have heard regarding sharpness and the TC20E by itself. By the way, this second image was processed with Raw Magick and I have not yet got the hang of the curves down, so if you notice any strange color casts, it is my fault entirely :oops: . I have not done anything "special" to either of these images.

Just more food for thought on the use of TC's. What do you folks think regarding the sharpness issue? Would you consider this to be OK?