Poor man's macro: 50/1.8+Canon 250D

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Pa, Jul 5, 2007.

1. I used my 50/1.8 + Canon 250D Close-up adapter to get the below shot during the Ron Reznick workshop. Following Ron's instruction, I took several shots at different exposures and then chose the best one. Thus no post-processing was required - only resizing for the web.

D200, 50mm f/1.8 + Canon 250D, 1/40s, f/18, -1.3eV.

[​IMG]

2. Wow. This is a great feast for my eyes.

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I think it's time to bust out the closeup lenses!

4. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Do you get AF with the add-on?

5. Yes, but the depth-of-field is very tiny, so MF works best.

6. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Thanks Jim.

I am considering to sell my 105VR since it's too big and I seldom used it. 50mm+250D might be a good alternative.

7. Another option . . .

. . . slap a BR-2 (or better yet, BR-2A) on your 50/1.8 like I did yesterday. Here are a few snapshots from yesterday with my 50/1.8 AF, reversed. They don't look the best after the zen resize, but they're actually not that bad at all.

p498206555-4.

View attachment 104226

[​IMG]

I usually carry the ring when I'm packing light and just have my 50/1.8 or 28/2 with me, as a quick macro option. The 50 doesn't provide that much magnification reversed, so it's actually much easier to work with this way than the 28, which cranks things up to something like 2:1 (which is a bit persnickety to work with handheld, like I usually do).

Greg

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pa I looked at this at work today. It looked good. But an unclibrated monitor. So thought I would wait to comment.
    That is beautiful. Great job on the red.
    Nice set up.

I have a 50 1.8 but not the 250

Have the 500D.. 77 mm

Just another thing to spend money on..lololol

9. That option probably makes a better true macro lens. However, I'm not really after 1:1; my interest is usually wildflowers.

Thanks, Gale. The 250D is quite inexpensive. I picked my up from a Cafe member for $50, I think. I also have a 500D in 72mm for my 18-200VR.

10. For wildflowers I usually use . . .

. . . whatever lens is already on the camera. Usually I can get close enough for all but the smallest flowers with the lenses I usually carry (28/2, 50/1.8, 75-150, etc.)

I have two and a half sets of tubes, a 250D, 3T, 4T, raynox DCR-250, PK-13, BR-2, BR-2A, etc. and I always recommend the reversing rings over the screw on diopters for the following reasons:

1. They're much cheaper
    2. They're lighter and easier to store
    3. They generally produce better results, in my experience
    4. They're more convenient, at least for someone like me. If I'm just shooting one lens, like my 28/2 or 50/1.8 but I'm going someplace I think I may need macro capabilities, I screw the BR-2A onto the lens and leave it there for convenience sake (think of it as a really ugly, not very useful hood). When I need a close-up, I just flip the lens as necessary

I just wanted to throw it out there as an option. I wouldn't have included the snapshots, but since I'd just shot the same lens reversed a little bit at the playground with my kids the day before . . .

Anyway, it sounds like you have a solution that fits your needs in the 250D. Have fun with it,

Greg

11. Greg, do you loose metering or auto-focus with the BR-2 ?

12. Reversing ring

You will definitely lose AF (no big loss for macro work at magnifications approaching or exceeding 1:1 anyway--AF is pretty useless at this mag). On my D200 the camera meters pretty well based on the non-cpu lens settings, if it's off though it's pretty easy to deal with using exposure compensation or switching to manual and using the histogram. That said, all of the shots I took the other day with the 50/1.8 reversed were just matrix metering.

Would it work the same on a D50? I have no idea. Maybe someone else could chime in here, I don't know too much about the D50.

Greg