poor material used by Nion

ta8Fv3h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the zoom rubber cover for my Nikon 24-70mm Lens.

The material Nikon use is in my opinion not of a good quality as it expands too easily. I had the same problem with the camera body part grip on my Nikon D300. That had to be replaced as well some time ago.
Seems that any moisture from the hand seeps into the "rubber" and it stretches too easily

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Barry, I had the same problem two years ago.

Suddenly the zoom ring rubber was widened, as the thumb grip of my D700 too.

My opinion: I have a very dry skin - no problem occured. My wife used the camera with the 24-70mm for one week - and it happened.
My wife is using lotion very often. Is it possible there's a connection? Softener and silicone in the lotion perhaps?

After replacing the parts, I never gave the camera my wife again and the problem showed never up again.

Please let me knoe if you've made similar observations.

Kind regards
Klaus

Many things we put on our hands attack rubber products, sun screens and bug sprays are some of the worst. Any product with DEET in it will melt many rubber/PVC containing products if not specifically designed to with stand DEET effects, just to name one.

already ordered Tony @ £5.

KFT
I am the only one who handles my cameras and lenses. Just let "er indoors" try , thank goodness she has no interest in photography. AS i said it happened to my D300 on the wrap around part with the red stripe. Since then it has been fine but I did notice the resin sticking it down had gone off as well.

Just received new focus ring grip and what a difference compared to the Nikon original. the amount it had stretched measured against the new one is shown here, the pin marks how much.

Totally unacceptable in my opinion
zBmYZ3r.jpg

even the part your hand goes on (ribbing) has more depth and grip , compare with original above

saWtyUS.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Parts store tire finish, McGuires rubber and Something else cleaner is fine.

Cut the band short, apply to lens with rubber cement and hold with wide rubber bands for 2 weeks. You can still use during cure.

I'm not concerned about the rubber parts getting worn. They're meant to be that way so they can easily be replaced.

The alternative is either plastic focus rings (less durable) or going back to metal focus rings (additional weight). Rubber is the trade off! :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom