POP goes the image

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by TomaS, Jul 26, 2008.

1. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    There are a lot of discussions on photo forum on making images "POP". I thought I would share one that I stumbled upon quite by accident.
    Here is the "un-popped' image:

2703021199_eee42afea8_o.

And here is the same image with one additional NX step to add the 'pop':

View attachment 227222

And here is a screenshot from NX showing the key step expanded:

View attachment 227223

I used "Saturation/Warmth" but actually you can use ANY adjustment. The important part is to use the Blend Mode of "Overlay". Opacity of 20 gives a mild pop. Setting it too high will cause the image to look unnatural.

I have a setting file that adds the 'Unsharp Mask', 'Saturation/Warmth', and 'High Pass'. I use it as the basis of my final adjustments on most images. Easy to tweak them as needed.

2. It's a really fabulous image, Tomas. I actually prefer the first one.

3. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    I always felt contrast was that added the 'pop'

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Try increasing local contrast by sharpening with USM settings like 10 for amount and 50 for radius.

Instead of color saturation, try separation. Convert to LAB and add a curve that brings the end points in equal amounts on the a and b channels.

5. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    OK....

to quote Emily Litella (Gilda Radner) "Never mind"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    If you say so.:rolleyes: 

7. Just tried this and it looks nice. Tomas, would you like to share your USM, S/W and High Pass settings with us?

8. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Hi Kees,
    Glad someone 'got it'. I really like the effect, and it is much easier to do than playing with curves / level / contrast / LAB / layers / sharpening / whatever.

My 'standard' USM is 50,5,4 and my 'standard' HP is 4.79 with opacity of 30. The S/W setting I use as a default is shown in the screen shot above. The effect is magnified quickly by changes in the 'opacity' slider, less so in the actual S/W settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  9. Thanks Tomas for the settings. The USM settings are about the same I use but I will add the HighPass to see the effect it has.

10. Fernleigh

Fernleigh Guest

It appears that the Flickr images posted in the original message are not displaying (at least on my browser), and I wonder if Tomas or another reader could post the standard Saturation and Warmth settings that Tomas uses in his regular recipe? Thanks.

11. doomzday

doomzday

Jun 4, 2008
    toledo
    I would also like to ask if someone would be kind enough to post the numbers.

Thankyou.

12. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    sorry about the missing images. guess i deleted them a while back.
    my 'standard' saturation and warmth settings are 20/10. but they are much less important than the opacity setting of the 'overlay' blend mode (as i mentioned in one of my previous replies). in fact, you can use the default setting of ANY adjustment to see the POP effect. i start at 20 for the opacity. going too high will definitely create an unnatural look.

13. I've also found that converting to black and white, and doing an overlay of that with a low opacity 20-25 works to provide a little pop as well.

14. doomzday

doomzday

Jun 4, 2008
    toledo
    Very cool! I like :) 

Thankyou for the tips.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.